Chapter 129

Jennie

"Apparently one of Kai's friends saw, because he figured out it was Chanyeol pretty quick. A few days passed and Chan was pulled over. The cop had a warrant to search his car, and inside his glove box they found an antique diamond necklace worth thousands of dollars."

I hold my breath in anticipation.

"It belonged to Kai," Lisa confirms. "He had documents on it and everything. He reported it missing the day his house was broken into.

"Chanyeol was arrested, obviously. Rosé called me in hysterics and we were able to bail him out since it was his first offense."

"He didn't really steal it, did he?" I ask, aghast.

"God, no!" says Lisa, horrified. "It was a set-up, Jennie. Kai pressed charges. He did this just to get to Chanyeol and Rosé."

"Was Chanyeol found guilty?"

"We're still awaiting the trial," she answers. "The attorneys are stretching it out a bit."

I nod as if I understand, but I really don't. I have no idea how these things work.

"But what about the pictures?" I ask. "Can't they use those against Kai? I'm sure if Rosé testifies..."

"The pictures are gone," Lisa interrupts. "Rosé got rid of them the moment she got them back. And it's not as if she really wants to parade those around for people to see anyway. She doesn't want half the town thinking of this when they hear the Manoban name. And can you blame her?

"I was drunk that night at the club, Jennie." Lisa's voice is remorseful, and a part of me thinks this is no excuse. But then I recall the night I drunk dialled her and made a fool of myself, and I instantly realize I'm not one to judge.

"Okay," I offer weakly.

"It's no excuse, but I wasn't really thinking straight. I ran into him in the bathroom, and he just kept fucking antagonizing me. He went on and on about a girl who wouldn't sleep with him and all I wanted to do was get out of there before I decked him and got arrested myself.

"But then he bet me that you wouldn't sleep with me, either. And I blew him off at first, Jennie. I swear I did. But when he asked me if there was anything I wanted from him all I could think of is that I wanted him to leave Chanyeol and my sister alone - to drop the charges and never contact them again. I fucking hate that Rosé doesn't feel completely safe when she comes home to visit. She's been through so much already, Jennie. She doesn't need that shit."

Lisa's angry now, her eyes narrowed and hard. I can see her fist clenching even in the dim light.
"And Chan doesn't deserve this, either. He's a good guy. He would do anything for Rosé. I was drunk," she says again, desperate. "He said the girl was there. It didn't seem like such a big deal at the time, Jennie. I was thinking that any girl who gave Kai the time of day - any girl who frequented a club like that - probably slept around anyway."

I gasp at her accusation. "Yes, and that's exactly the kind of asinine thoughts I expected from someone who'd make a bet like that," I say angrily. "Did it ever occur to you that your sister gave Kai the time of day? And that even though I did go out with Kai, we never had sex?"

Lisa runs a hand through her hair again. Soon it will be snatched out from the roots.

"I know that," she says. "But I wasn't thinking rationally. I was drunk out of my mind. I was anxious for any way to one-up Kai."

I'm at a loss for words, so I remain silent. What can I really say? That it's okay that she screwed me over because she was drunk?

"I know it's no excuse," she says again and I'm relieved that she agrees. "But I wanted you to at least know why. I would never do something like this over money, Jennie. Or over any material possession. If I wasn't so hot about helping my sister then I wouldn't have done it this time, either."

I sigh, lifting my right hand to brush a strand of hair from my face, but a terrible pain rips through my arm when I do. I grimace and move to stand from the bed.

"Are you leaving?" Lisa wonders anxiously.

"No, Lisa," I say, sighing again. "My hand really hurts. I at least need some Tylenol or something."
"I'll get it," she says quickly, and she's gone before I can object.

She returns several minutes later with two Percocet and a glass of water, but I shake my head when he tries to hand them to me.

"I don't want that," I say. "I won't be able to focus."

"You need something stronger than Tylenol, Jennie." she frowns. "I won't be here that much longer, anyway. I'll probably be gone by the time it kicks in."

My chest tightens at the thought of her leaving. I can't understand why I'm still so drawn to having her with me. We're obviously no good for each other, so why does my subconscious constantly protest what I know is right?

I reluctantly take the items from her hands. "Fine," I say quietly. "But you have to be gone now. I can't be near you when I'm high."

She smiles, but it fades just as quickly as it comes.