Chapter 124

Lisa

I call Hae-in in an effort to get some information - or perhaps to get Jisoo's number, who I think will be the best person to contact in this situation - but he doesn't answer either.

I'm nearly in Seoul by the time he calls back.

"What the fuck is going on, man?" I practically yell. "I've called you like a hundred times."

"Dude, calm down. It's not the fucking apocalypse when I don't have my phone turned on," he replies, and his easy, slightly bemused voice instantly grates on my nerves.

"Like hell it isn't. I need Jisoo's number."

"Why?"

"I just spoke to Kai and he said Jennie attacked him," I explain. "I want to know what the fuck is going on. Have you talked to her? Do you know if she's okay?"

"Yeah, man. She's at the hospital--"

"She's at the what!"

"Calm down, Lisa! Let me explain."

That proves to be an impossible feat, but I'm desperate to hear what he has to say. "All right, all right. Tell me what happened."

"Well, from what Jisoo said, they had a little bit of a confrontation. He said some things - I'm not sure what - and she punched him in the nose. But she also hurt her hand in the process."

I groan. I want to kill Kai. I want to back over his legs with my car. I want to snap every single bone in his hands. I want to—

"That's all I know of, man," Hae-in goes on. "I think he got the worst of it. As far as I know, Jennie is fine except for her hand."

"Is Jisoo with her?"

"Yes."

"Give me her number."

"What? No. Why?"

"I want to talk to Jennie."

"Lisa, if Jennie wanted to talk to you she'd answer her phone. I'm not going to have you harassing Jisoo, too."

"I'm not harassing anybody," I argue, though this may actually be a lie. Does sending someone a million flowers qualify as harassment these days?

"Yeah, Lisa. You kind of are. You know I'd love to see two actually end up together, but I'm trying to be reasonable."

"Fuck reasonable, Hae-in! I want to talk to Jennie."

Perhaps my outburst is a little uncalled for, but I don't think I really deserve the dial tone that soon greets my ear. It takes every ounce of restraint to keep from slamming my phone into the windshield.

I don't even know what hospital she's at. The first one I try claims to not know of a Jennie Kim, and they refuse to call the other hospitals in the city to determine her whereabouts. Not that I expected them to, but it was worth a shot.

I try calling beforehand, but the second hospital won't give me any information over the phone. It turns out she's not there either.

At the third hospital, I hit my mark. But I'm also confronted with another bout of bad luck.
"Jennie Kim was released over two hours ago," the secretary informs me, and I bite my lip to keep from cursing out loud in the middle of the lobby.

Thankfully, Jisoo's number is listed, so I retrieve her address from information and head over to her apartment. I enter the main lobby and use my charm to get her apartment number from the small, petite brunette situated behind the counter.

But when I knock on her door, it only opens a few inches. There's a chain keeping it secure, and it only provides a small space for which Jisoo to leer at me.