Chapter 54

Lisa

I grimace as I hear Jennie retching only God-knows where. I can hear music in the background, the rustle of something or another against the receiver... a short pause in her retches follows, and I wonder if she's finished.

"Jennie?" I ask warily. The retching commences. With an aggravated sigh I hang up the phone, knowing I'm not going to get anywhere this way.

What the hell is going on? She's with my sister? How? Why? I can only conclude that this is mostly Rosé's doing. With a scowl, I quickly dial her number, knowing she never goes anywhere without her phone.

When she answers, it's obvious she's just as trashed as Jennie. I can feel my blood boiling over all of this.

"Rosé, what the fuck is going on?" I demand. There's loud music in the background and a crowd of voices.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Rosé slurs. "What's wrong?"

"Rosé, where are you?" My voice is low and determined. I grab my keys, ready to head out as soon as I have their whereabouts. I already know of Rosé's favourite club around here... practically the only one she ever frequents. I figure I'll head there until she gives up the information.

"I'm... I'm at a club, Lisa. Where are you?"

"I'm coming to get you."

"No, you're not!" She's angry, her voice a loud screech into the phone.

"Like fucking hell I'm not. Are you with Jennie?"

There's a pause before she says, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I just got off the phone with her and, incidentally, this same music was playing in the background.

Are you aware that she's puking her brains out right now? Are you with her?"

She sounds worried. "Really? She's uhh... she's in the bathroom. She said she had to pee."

"Where are you, Rosé?"

"We're at The Vault."

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I hang up the phone without waiting for her to respond. When I reach the club I make quick work of parking, yet upon approaching the entrance, I find Rosé and Jennie sitting on the curb outside. Jennie has her head in her hands, her face hidden from view, while Rosé rubs her back consolingly. They both look beyond wasted.

Rosé looks up at me apprehensively. Jennie doesn't stir; I'm not even sure she's conscious.
There's a million things I want to say to Rosé - this time she's most certainly taken her meddling too far - but I can focus on nothing but Jennie slumped against her on the sidewalk. And she was pissed at me. About Irene. My stomach tightens in remorse as I crouch down, pushing her hair out of her face. Her eyes are closed, her cheeks wet. Has she been crying? She stirs at my touch, moving her face away from me.

I gently grab her arm, hoping to ease her from the ground. Thank God Rosé is still awake. How much did she have to drink?

"Come on, Jennie. It's time to go home," I coax. She groans but unsteadily rises at my persistence, clinging to my arms and shirt for balance. Her eyes open but don't meet mine; she looks deathly pale.

"I think she just had a little too much to drink," Rosé says nervously. No shit.

"What the hell is she doing all the way in Busan?" I keep my voice lowered, yet the furious bite is still there.

"Well, when she said she'd come, I thought she lived here. I didn't find out she lived in Seoul until tonight, Lisa. I promise."

"And why are you inviting her places? You don't even know her."

"I wanted to meet her..."

I sigh. Rosé is sure to always force herself into my life, my affairs, one way or another. I should have expected nothing less.

Jennie can hardly walk straight, which makes the trip back to the car awkward. I have half a mind to sweep her up and carry her bridal style down the street, saving us all some time. When we reach the car, I ease her into the passenger's seat and lock her into the seatbelt. Her eyes are closed again, and she still hasn't acknowledged me.

The drive back to Chitthip and Marco's house is awkward and silent. Rosé fidgets in the backseat, nearing unconsciousness herself. At one point she reaches forward and pushes Jennie's hair off her face, asking her if she's all right. Jennie gives a weak nod in response, and the silence stretches on, lingering among us.