Chapter 101

Lisa

I had planned on staying in Seoul tonight, but suddenly - after being so effectively dismissed by Jennie - I don't feel there's any reason to. I have to work early, and it makes more sense to drive back to Busan tonight.

So, I drive. In silence. And my thoughts race and wander and nearly drive me mad.

I wasn't able to tell Jennie everything tonight. Not without blurting it out despite her headache and possibly sending her into shock, at least. But tomorrow is another day - tomorrow it needs to be said, headache or not.

Because Hae-in is right, that motherfucker. He may be an idiot ninety-percent of the time, but he knows how to make a relationship work. He always has. And as hard as it is to admit, he's probably right about everything he said.

Because deep down, I agree with him. I know it's right. And I know what I have to do, no matter how hard it is.

Hae-in calls me on the ride home, but I ignore it. I don't feel like talking anymore, especially as I have a good idea as to his preferred topic of conversation. He leaves a voice mail, but I don't listen to it either.

It's late when I get home. I strip to my boxers and call Jennie, hoping to check up on her and her headache, but she doesn't answer. I assume she's already asleep.

I quickly listen to Hae-in's message - he's urging me to call him back, saying he has something really important to say, but I ignore it. Whatever it is can wait.

He sends me a text message.

Hae-in: Where the fuck are you? Call me back.

I log out and get a brief glimpse of my other messages. I see one from Kai that I don't recognize and frown.

Kai: Why do I get the feeling that you're avoiding my calls?

I check the time the message was sent and realize I received it tonight. I don't remember getting it. Could I have accidentally pressed the button in my pocket? That's possible...

I start scrolling through all my messages, on a whim, and cringe at what I see. Some from Irene and other girls and some from Kai. I notice the one I sent to Kai - the one where I claim Jennie is still just a bet to me - and I scoff at the absurdity of my lie. That's obviously not true anymore, and the fact that I could try to claim otherwise is just ridiculous.

I don't even like the idea of such a message being on my phone. In a sudden spurt of paranoia, I erase my entire inbox and outbox of text messages.

I lie down and close my eyes, but something is unsettling to me. I search for its source, find none, and yet still can't seem to relax.

Sleep doesn't come easily.