Chapter 60

Jennie

In the safe confines of the bedroom I dial her number, then quickly hang up the phone. Crap! What if Lisa hears me talking to Jisoo? That won't do... I type out a quick text instead.

Jennie: Mayday! - I'm in the lion's den. What do I do?

I call information and get the number for the theatre. After I've determined its playing times I check my messages. Not surprisingly, I have a message from Hae-in instead of Jisoo. Jesus, does she go anywhere without him now?

Hae-in: Have you slept with Lisa?

Jennie: No! Are you kidding me?

Hae-in: Why else would you spend the night at her house?

Jennie: How do you know I spent the night?

Hae-in: I'm Confucius, remember? All-knowing.

I shake my head. That girl can't keep her mouth shut for anything in the world. I'm surprised she hasn't broadcast everything to Lisa at this point.

Hae-in: So what are you doing? Do you have the cat?

Jennie: No, Hae-in. I told you I'm not getting a cat.

Hae-in: We'll discuss that later. For now leave some girly shit in Lisa's bathroom. The nastier the better.

Jennie: Nasty??

Hae-in: You know... girly shit.

Jennie: I'm telling Jisoo you said that.

Hae-in: She's sitting right here.

Jennie: Then tell her useless ass to text me back.

Hae-in: She said her useless ass nails are drying.

Pfft... useless nails is right. I've never understood her obsession with those things.

Jennie: Rosé invited me to dinner with the family tonight.

Hae-in: Holy shit that's GENIUS. What do you even need me for?

Jennie: I believe I texted Jisoo, not you.

Hae-in: Does Lisa know you're going?

Jennie: Umm... no. So you think I should go?

Hae-in: Hell yes I do.

Jennie: Should I be scared?

A knock at the door causes me to jump. Holy cow... I completely lost track of time! She probably suspects I'm hugging the commode again. I quickly put my phone on vibrate, slip it into my back pocket, and open the door.

"Hey," I greet Lisa. I feel breathless, and I'm not sure why... I guess all the scheming and plotting leaves me feeling mentally spent.

"Hey," Lisa repeats. "You okay? You're not sick again, are you?"

I knew it.

"No, I'm fine. I was just thinking. The movie starts at two o'clock; if we hurry we can make it."