58

Elsie stared at the island guardian floating next to her friend with wide eyes.

'Never in my life would I think I'd be standing before such an important and powerful pokemon.' she thought.

"Hey, you two," Hau said with his usual grin. "So you found me ."

Tapu Koko then flew towards Elsie, who took a few steps back in surprise. The island guardian stared at the trainer before turning towards Hau.

"Koko..."

Hau tilted his head in confusion. "You're wanting to give El here more Z-Rings? But she already has one. What would she do with all the extras?"

This time, Elsie tilted her head. Confused at what Hau was guessing what Tapu Koko was trying to tell him. "Tapu Koko... wants to gift me with more Z-Rings? Why would it want to do that? Shouldn't it keep as many as it can for those that are going through their island challenge?"

"Also Hau... what are you doing in the Ruins of Conflict with Tapu Koko to begin with?" Lillie asked. "I don't think I've ever seen you around this place before."

All Hau could do at first was let out a nervous laugh. "I guess I got some explaining to do huh? To put it simply... I did the same thing that Hapu did, though with a little more convincing."

Hearing that short explanation alone cause Lillie's eyes to widen in shock while Elsie still stood there, completely lost.

"Y-You mean..."

Hau nodded. "Yeah. It's exactly what you're thinking."

"I-I'm still a little confused here." Elsie stuttered.

"Oh! Sorry about that Elsie. The news was so shocking I forgot you probably have no idea what's happening." Lillie then began explaining. "Well, the kahuna of each island is chosen by the island guardian that resides on that island. Those who were chosen usually come to the ruins to meet with the Tapu of that island."

It was then that Elsie started to piece everything together, eventually sharing the same shocked expression Lillie had just a few moments ago as she turned to face Hau.

"S-So... does that mean that... Hau is the new Kahuna of Melemele Island?" she asked.

"Yeah. Took a lot of convincing from my gramps but it all worked out in the end. Though the topic was brought up a while ago. Probably sometime after our little adventure with Nebby, Lillie."

"That long ago? Makes me wonder how long Hapu's journey to becoming Kahuna lasted..."

"Anyway, you guys came looking for me right? What's up?"

"Oh. I just finished all my trials in Alola and now I'll be going back to Holon soon to create a league there with my friends." Elsie explained. "Professor Kukui and Hala are wanting to throw a goodbye party and wanted us to come find you."

"You're leaving already?"

"Y-Yeah. Some of my friends that are helping me with this plan are already on their way back home. I don't wanna keep them waiting for too long."

"Well... at least Tapu Koko wanting to give you more Z-Rings makes sense now. Holon doesn't really have much right? Guess it's also a farewell gift from him to you. To get your region a good start on its league whenever it's built. Guess I'll have to ask Tutu for help with making you some extras. But all that can be dealt with after the party. Let's go before everyone starts wondering what's taking us so long."

As he always does, Hau ran ahead, going back to Iki Town. Lillie sighed and shook her head before going to catch up to him. Elsie followed suit but stopped at the exit of the ruins and looked back at Tapu Koko.

"T-Thank you... for the gifts, you're sending me off with."

It was then that she heard a voice echoing in her head.

"You'll need to prepare both yourself and your friends for what's to come when you return to your homeland. Use the power of Alola you've acquired here and share it with those close to you."

"W-What was..."

Before she knew it, the island guardian was gone.

'Was that... Tapu Koko speaking to me?' she pondered. 'What did he mean by preparing myself and my friends for what's to come? I mean... it's nice to know that Tapu Koko is allowing me to bring Z-Rings to my friends but... I can't help but wonder why...'

But it seemed like she wouldn't get an answer to that anytime soon. There was no use trying to dwell on it. Especially when there's a celebration at hand. All she could do was accept the gift and prepare herself for whatever was coming when she got back to Holon which is what she was planning to do in the first place.

Pushing the confusion to the back of her mind, Elsie left the ruins to catch up to her friends.

...........

"Wow... they r-really went all out with this." Elsie gaped in surprise as she looked around. The otherwise peaceful town was now bustling with just as much energy as it was during that celebration when she had first arrived. Seeing the setting gave her somewhat of a nostalgic feeling.

"Of course. Everyone in Alola always goes all out when it comes to partying." Hau said. "Doesn't matter what it is. Right, Lillie?"

Lillie nodded, laughing a little. "Yes if there's a reason to celebrate then Alola will never hold back."

Soon Kukui walked up to the wooden podium that Elsie remembered having her first battle with Ilima. He then turned to her and waved.

"Hey, Elsie! Aqua Jet your way over here!"

Despite the confusion about what was about to happen, Elsie made her way over to the professor's side. All residents of Iki Town turned their attention to her the moment she appeared.

"As many of you already know, Elsie here came from the Holon Region to take part in our Island Challenge." Kukui began. "New experiences, intense battles, she's enjoyed every second of it! Now she'll go back to her home region to bring those same opportunities to everyone she knows. Let's all give her the best good luck at the next step of her journey!"

Soon the town erupted with applause and cheers. Elsie couldn't help but blush a little at all the attention that she was getting.

Kukui then turned to Elsie. "Now then. Time to show off the ones that brought you to where you are now and where you'll be headed. Show off your pokemon to everyone here."

She nodded before releasing all six of her pokemon, the audience cheering more as each of them appeared on the wooden podium. Elsie glanced around, trying to ease her nerves of all the attention. Eventually, she saw someone walking into town.

'That person... looks familiar.'

It didn't take long for her to realize that it was Evan that was approaching the town. It wasn't long until everyone else participating in the celebration noticed him as well.

"Evan... did you... finish all your trials?" Elsie asked.

The only response that Evan got were two simple words. "Battle me."