17

The moment Lapras returned them to near the entrance of Brooklet Hill, Elsie was greeted with an excited hug from Lillie.

"Elsie! You did it! I knew that you could!"

"Y-Yeah...all thanks to Ico." Elsie said. "He was pretty quick."

"You have to give yourself some credit too." Lana added as she walked up to them, holding something in her hand. "You and your Dartrix worked together to defeat Araquanid. As proof that you beat my trial, take this."

Lana took Elsie's hand and placed the item she was holding in her palm. The Waterium-Z. Elsie nodded in thanks before putting the Z-Crystal in her bag.

'I know I don't have any water type pokemon with me, but it'll be good to save this for if or whenever I do.' she thought.

"Since you've cleared my trial, feel free to catch any pokemon that catch your eye." Lana said. "Maybe you'll be lucky and manage to catch a red Gyarados, like I did."

Elsie simply blinked before saying. "This is another way to get me to fall for one of your tricks isn't it?"

"Looks like you saw right through me this time. No I didn't reel in a red Gyarados...I reeled in Kyogre."

"I'm not gonna fall for the Kyogre trick again."

Both Lana and her Primarina simply giggled in response.

...........

"Okay, so according to Lana, the next trial I should face is gonna be on Wela Volcano Park." Elsie said, mostly to herself as she walked alongside Lillie. "I guess judging by the name, this is gonna be a fire type trial."

"Yep. Kiawe runs that trial. But Wela Volcano Park is quite a long way from here and it's getting late. Why don't we settle down for the night and head there tomorrow morning." Lillie suggested.

"Yeah. That sounds good." Elsie nodded in agreement. "I guess kinda going back to Paniola Ranch would be a good place to rest then."

So the two of them went back to Paniola Ranch, getting ready to rest for the night. The moment they were inside, Elsie released all of her pokemon, thinking it would be better for them to rest outside their pokeballs. Lillie did the same. From just glancing at her team, Elsie assumed that Lillie's team was mostly ice and fairy type pokemon. There were some that she immediately recognized such as the Clefairy and Alolan Sandshrew. Then there was a Comfey and Ribombee, ones that she saw only after coming to Alola. But the last one, she had never seen before.

"Hey Lillie...isn't that a Magearna?" Rotom asked.

"Magearna?" Elsie echoed in question. "That's what it's called."

Lillie smiled and nodded. "Yes. This is Magearna."

"I'm...guessing it's pretty special if Rotom has to ask to make sure what it is." Elsie said. "Was it...created?"

"From what I read on it, Magearna was created 500 years ago. But it somehow made its way into an antique shop while in an inactive state. That was when my father found it and brought it home." Lillie explained. "I was still an infant when he brought it home so I don't remember. It was only until about a year or so ago that I found Magearna and found a way to activate it."

"Wow...such an interesting story."

"I suppose it is...but not as interesting of a story as your home region. Do you know any more about that tale you told me and Hau?"

"Y-You mean...the story about the former guardians of Holon? I'm not sure how much more I can tell you. There's not many details regarding it." Elsie said with a sigh. "I mean...it's pretty straight forward right? The guardians make a friend, that friend is destroyed due to the actions of others, and the guardians left right after. If anything, it just serves as a lesson. Actions can seriously affect those around you."

"Really? That's it? Not even pictures of what they looked like?"

Elsie shook her head. But her mind couldn't help but wander towards the little dream that she had right before leaving for Alola.

'Could those voices...have anything to do with the guardians? No...they don't want anything to do with humans anymore. I doubt they'll go out of their way to send a little message to someone like me.'

She hadn't realized that she had drifted off in her thoughts until Prism pawed at her nose.

"Vee?"

"Are you alright Elsie?" Lillie asked, having a concerned look on her face.

"Yeah. S-Sorry about that. Just occurred to me that it really is weird that the tales really don't tell us what the guardians or their friend looked like. Maybe if I looked into it more then I would have a better idea."

"Well...if you ever do discover something, be sure to let me know. I'm sure that diving into the story more will help others get a better understanding on what happened."

'I guess that's true. I would like to know the exact reason those villagers went after the guardians' friend like that.' Elsie thought.

Yawning, Elsie laid down and closed her eyes, hoping to get as much rest as she could.

............

Once again, Elsie found herself in the strange forest right before she had left Holon. Looking around, it was clear to see that she was alone just like the first time.

'This happening right when I decide to find out more about the tale of the former guardians...does this place really have something to do with them?'

"You've grown stronger." the mysterious voice said. "We are...relieved to see that."

"U-Um...can I ask who you are?" Elsie requested, though still too afraid to take any movement. "Do you...have something to do with Holon's former guardians?"

"If the time ever comes...we will reveal ourselves to you. But for now, keep growing stronger. We...do not wish to see history repeat itself."

"What does that mean?"

The voice didn't answer. The only response that Elsie got was her surroundings becoming nothing but white light. When it died down, she was back where she had originally fell asleep in. Prism was curled up beside her, which meant that Elsie had woken up.

'That's the second time I've had that dream in that place...what does it all mean?'