25

Elsie simply blinked in confusion, her mind still trying to process what had just happened. She may have been trying to understand that sudden escape a little too much since Lillie made her sit down the moment everything was over, refusing to allow her to explore the new city that they were in until about half an hour had passed. Though it was nice to let her team have the extra time to rest in the Pokemon Center, just sitting around felt rather boring now.

"So... what is this place called?" she asked, the moment everything had calmed down.

"Konikoni City. Where Kahuna Oliva lives." Lillie explained. "When you're ready for your Grand Trial, you'll probably meet her in the Ruins of Life."

"Ruins of Life?" Elsie echoed in question before realizing what that meant. "Oh, the place where this island's guardian is supposed to show up right?"

Lillie nodded. "Yes. Tapu Lele guards this island. And as you probably know, Tapu Koko looks after Melemele Island and is said to appear in the Ruins of Conflict."

"Alola is lucky to have four separate guardians looking after it." Elsie said, then stood up. "Well, I think looking around this new city would be a good way to take a break from training a bit."

"Are you sure you're alright? You did seem to be in a bit of shock when you were flown here on Kiawe's Charizard."

"I'm fine. Maybe since I made it through that I can muster the courage to Mantine Surf when it's time for me to go to the next island."

"I... suppose that's one way to look at it. Okay, as long as you're sure you're okay. Since you have a Growlithe and Eevee on your team, I think I have an idea on where you might like to start your exploring."

Elsie pondered on what this place was as she followed Lillie out the Pokemon Center and into what looked like a small shop right across from it. Upon entering the small shop, they saw Olivia standing there. Akala's Kahuna noticed the two trainers at the entrance and walked over to them.

"Well hello there, Lillie and Elsie. I see you've made it all the way here."

Elsie was a little surprised that Olivia had remembered who she was. They had only met once and she was sure the duties of a kahuna made her busy. Yet she didn't need to be reminded of the name of a single trial-goer.

Despite being a little caught off guard, Elsie found the will to reply.

"Y-Yes. I just finished Mallow's Trial. Kiawe and Lana were kind enough to show me the way here."

"Is that so? Well then, looks like we'll have our fun battle pretty soon. Whenever you're ready, come and meet me in the Ruins of Life. In the meantime, feel free to look around my shop."

"Oh you're a shop owner too?" Elsie asked. She was then nudged forward, being prompted to take a closer look. It didn't take long for her to realize that the jewels on display were evolution stones. Prism and Lucien leaned in curiously, though Prism was careful not to touch any of the stones. Naturally, Lucien had his eyes set on the Fire Stones.

'Well looks like I'll at least be buying a Fire Stone.' Elsie thought. 'I wonder if Prism is interested in any of the stones... I don't think evolution was ever brought up to her.'

"Prism, do you want any of these stones?" she asked. "I know we haven't really talked about evolution but we might as well see what you might like since we're here."

Prism studied the different evolutionary stones before sighing and shaking her head. "Vee, Eevee."

"She says that she wants to evolve but is not sure into what yet." Rotom translated. "And that she's not sure if Flareon, Jolteon, or Vaporeon would be a good fit for her."

Elsie nodded. "That's alright. No need to rush. Take all the time you need, Prism."

Prism nodded, smiling.

...........

Elsie stared at the Fire Stone in her hand, feeling a slight warmth that it gave off.

'Today was the first time I've seen evolution stones up close... and now I'm holding one in my hand. They're a lot prettier in person than in books.'

Lucien hopped onto his trainer's lap, his tail wagging as he also looked up at the stone.

"You seem pretty excited that we got this. Does that mean you think you're ready to evolve?" Elsie asked.

Lucien barked happily.

"He says that he's been looking for a Fire Stone for a while," Rotom explained. "So he was really happy when the shop sold different kinds of stones."

"Well, if you've been really wanting this for a while then who am I to stop you from reaching your goal."

Elsie offered the Fire Stone to Lucien. The ecstatic Growlithe was about to touch the stone but the moment was quickly interrupted by the sound of snarling. They turned their attention to where the sound was coming from just in time to see Sapphire running from Skye. Ico quickly took the small Swablu in his wings as Prism stood in between the two, taking a Bite from the Rockruff.

'Oh no is he still not out of his phase yet?'

Elsie quickly ran to the rest of her team. "Everyone please calm down!"

She reached out to pick up Skye, only to be greeted with his teeth sinking into her skin. Prism immediately used Dragon Rage, knocking Skye back. He growled again, but only for a moment as he stopped as soon as he saw the mark on his trainer's arm.

Elsie willed herself not to let tears fall as she held the bite wound tightly. "I-I'm fine. Just caught me off guard there. No more fighting each other okay?"

Skye attempted to get closer to Elsie but one glare from Prism made him keep his distance. He watched as Elsie ignored the pain of the bite to tend to the frightened Sapphire. Not wanting to make anything worse, Skye resigned himself to the far corner of the room, knowing he had to be stronger to not be a danger to his trainer or his teammates.