10

Elsie slowly walked outside, looking around at her new surroundings.

'Looks like we're outside in a way but there's no way to the rest of the island from here.' she thought. 'The only way out of the Cavern would be to come from the way that I came in.'

"Ee, Eevee!" Prism points out something standing in the distance. There they see what looks like a golden totem standing there. They take a closer look and see that there's was a crystal sitting in what looked like a little opening in the totem.

"I'm guessing that's the Z-crystal we're supposed to get to complete the trial." Elsie said aloud. "But...where's the Totem Pokemon?" she looked around but saw nothing. "Was it that Raticate that we fought inside..."

Though that might've been the case, she doubted it. From what Hau said, Totem Pokemon were supposed to be massive and fierce some and she wouldn't really deem the Raticate that they cornered to be either of those descriptions.

'Maybe there isn't one in the very first trial...that would be a bit odd but I guess wanting to ease new trainers into this could be a possibility.' she thought. Elsie then reached for the crystal but before she could grab it, she and Prism heard a loud growl. Above them they saw an Alolan Raticate, but this one was much bigger than the one that they saw in the cavern and had some type of aura glowing around it. Raticate jumped down from above, placing itself between Elsie and the Z-Crystal.

"Y-Yeah...that definitely fits the description that Hau gave me about Totem Pokemon." Elsie stuttered as she took a few steps back. Immediately, Prism jumped off her trainer's shoulder and faced the massive Raticate. "P-Prism?"

The Eevee looked back at Elsie and nodded.

'That's right...we can't back away now. We didn't come this far just to run.'

Elsie nodded back, the same determination filling her eyes before staring up at the Totem Pokemon. "Raticate, we're gonna get that Z-Crystal and complete our trial no matter what and you can't scare us away! Prism, use Quick Attack!"

"Vee!" Prism nodded and dashed forward, slamming into the Raticate with Quick Attack. But the impact didn't seem to do much.

'Guess that aura it has increases its defense.'

Raticate let out a screech and it was then that a Rattata came rushing toward, using Bite which Prism was just barely able to dodge.

"So they call for an ally pokemon...in this situation" Elsie said mostly to herself. "In a situation like this it's best to focus my attention on the Totem Pokemon and then deal with the ally since another one will replace it if we try to take out the ally first. But to keep it fairly weak... Prism use Swift!"

It was then that the star-like projectiles came raining down on both Raticate and it's ally. After the two opposing pokemon charged forward, the Raticate using Tackle while Rattata used Bite. The second attack caused Prism to flinch which gave the Totem Pokemon another chance to attack with Tackle again.

"Prism are you alright!?" Elsie called out, seeing her partner crash into the ground. Prism tried to get back up back on her feet but then she saw Sapphire appear.

"Ee?"

"Don't push yourself Prism." Elsie said. "Come back and let Sapphire handle this."

The Eevee nodded and returned to Elsie's side. It was then that Sapphire flew around, easily dodging the attacks of the pokemon.

"Alright, let's start this off as strong as we can, Sapphire use Disarming Voice!"

The Swablu flew over Rattata and Raticate and used Disarming Voice. The sound waves were strong enough to make both skid back a few inches. Seeing their reaction to the attack, that was when an idea popped into her mind.

'If Disarming Voice has that much of an effect on them then they must also be dark type...why didn't I think of this before?'

"Sapphire, use Disarming Voice one more time! And give it all you got!"

Sapphire nodded and took a deep breath before releasing a full-powered Disarming Voice. Both the Raticate and Rattata fell at the sound of the attack before retreating somewhere. Elsie stared at the now empty space almost in disbelief.

"Did...did we do it?"

"Blu!"

Sapphire went over to Elsie, the Z-Crystal in her beak.

"We...actually did do it! Good job you two!" she smiled brightly and hugged Prism and Sapphire.

"Congratulations, Elsie."

"Oh, Captain Ilima." Elsie saw the trial captain walking towards her.

"Seems that you were able to pass your first trial and obtained the Normalium Z. Allow me to show you how to unleash the power of that Z-Crystal."

Elsie watched as Ilima did the dance and pose for the Normalium Z and soon tried to copy his movements shortly after.

"Like this?"

"Perfect. Just like that."

'Felt a little weird doing that funny dance but...at least we're all growing stronger because of these experiences.' she thought.

Elsie then followed Ilima out of Verdant Cavern. Outside, Professor Kukui was there, waiting.

"Hey cousin! Looks like you completed your first trial. I bet old Hala is preparing for your arrival even as we speak."

"Huh...what do you mean he would-" it then dawned on her suddenly. "Oh...there's only one trial in Melemele isn't there? And since I just completed it that means my next step is the grand trial against Kahuna Hala."

"Yep! Of course that doesn't mean that you have to challenge him right away. How about you explore the rest of Melemele and battle some trainers in the rest of the route, yeah? I'm sure that will help you feel better prepared."

"Yeah, I think I just might do that after Prism and Sapphire get some rest." Elsie said with a small smile before saying a quick goodbye and hurrying off to the pokemon center. There, she waited with Ico for Sapphire and Prism to be treated for their rules.

Out of the corner of her eye, Elsie saw something out the corner of her eye, though when she turned to look through the window, she saw nothing but grass.

'That's weird...I could've sworn that I saw something orange just a moment ago...maybe I'm just imagining things.'