13

Elsie gave the Rockruff a sympathetic smile as she entered the room. "Hey there...is it alright if I come closer?"

Rockruff stared at the girl with wide eyes. Though not opposed to her coming closer, he didn't know why she would want to in the first place. He stared at Elsie as she sat down on the foot of his bed.

"I...to be honest I'm pretty new to Alola and...I was pretty upset when I learned that Rockruff like you are often abandoned because trainers can't handle the little phase you go through when you're close to evolving, it made me pretty upset and without thinking I kinda declared that I would take care of you." she explained. "Obviously I don't wanna force you into anything you don't wanna do but...I did hear that you wouldn't be able to make it out on your own so...either I can stay a few more days to help you learn how to take care of yourself or you can come with me and I'll take care of you. What do you wanna do?"

Rockruff gave Elsie a skeptical look.

"Y-You don't believe me do you? I-I guess that reaction is to be expected. Trust is easy to break but hard to build after all and humans have already wronged you. Words can be pretty empty huh?"

Rockruff tilted his head curiously. He couldn't help but notice that this girl seemed to be saying this as if someone wronged her as well. The pokemon blinked when Elsie let out all her pokemon.

"Just so you know that if you do choose to let me take care of you, you won't be the only pokemon. Just like me, they want what'll make you happy. Maybe you'll take their word."

Rockruff first made eye contact with Lucien, who nodded his head. Ico and Sapphire simply waited patiently for the pokemon's decision while Prism sat on Elsie's shoulder. Rockruff then looked back at Elsie and stepped closer to her. He sniffed her hand and then began to lick it.

Elsie's eyes widened at the gesture. "Does that mean you'll come with us?"

Rockruff barked and wagged his tail. Elsie smiled and scooped Rockruff in her arms. "Welcome to the team then. Now...we should come up with a name for you."

She studied her new pokemon. "Well...your eyes are almost as blue as the sky so...how about Skye? Do you like that name?"

Rockruff nodded, his tail wagging faster. Elsie then offered a pokeball to him and he nudged it, going in without a second thought.

..........

When Elsie left the Pokemon Center, the first thing that she noticed was Professor Kukui and Lillie waiting for her.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." she said. "But everything's alright now. Rockruff decided to come with me after all."

"No need to apologize, cousin." Kukui said. "This is your journey after all. Go through it however you like."

Elsie nodded. "Well...if that boat ride is still available, I'm ready to go to Akala Island now. Knowing Hau, he's probably already there and wondering what's taking us so long."

"Yeah, that definitely sounds like something he would be doing right about now." Lillie said with a giggle. "Well, if you're ready then there's no reason why we're still standing around here."

"Right you are Lillie! Let's Surf our way to Akala Island, woo!"

"Wait...I thought we were using a boat..." Elsie whispered to Lillie.

"Professor Kukui often references pokemon moves sometimes. We're not actually Mantine Surfing, I promise." Lillie whispered back.

"Oh okay."

Elsie followed Lillie and Professor Kukui to his boat and soon they were on their way to Akala Island.

"I'm honestly really excited to be going back to Akala." Lillie admitted as she sat next to Elsie. Prism sat next to Snowy. "There are some good friends of mine there that you'll meet. They're the trial captains there."

"So each island has a different number of trials?" Elsie asked, noticing that her new friend was using the plural versions of trial.

Lillie nodded. "Akala has the most number of trials you have to face before facing your Grand Trial." she explained. "From what I've heard, Akala is usually the biggest obstacle island challengers face during their journey."

"Well, even if it's hard, if these captains are your friends then I'm sure that I'll at least make some new friends during my time in Akala." Elsie said, before looking down at the water. "If I'm being honest with myself, I probably need some new friends..."

"Was there not a lot of people you got along with back in Holon?"

"Not exactly...I-I...thought I made a friend but the moment she realized that I was coming here when I was able to journey to another region while she couldn't, she uh...kinda lashed out at me. Honestly if it wasn't for Prism, Sapphire and some other classmates of mine encouraging me, I probably wouldn't be here."

"In a way, I know how you feel. It took a lot for me to finally decide to start my own journey." Lillie said. "At first I was scared to be a pokemon trainer, since didn't necessarily like battling. But eventually, after hatching Snowy when she was just a Vulpix, I eventually ended up doing the Island Challenge myself. It's a little scary...going on your own at first but in the long run, you'll be glad that you did it."

Elsie nodded. "Yeah I understand. Just have to get through the uncomfortable beginning first. Then everything will start falling into place eventually."

Soon land started appearing from the horizon.

"Is that Akala Island?" Elsie asked.

Lillie nodded, smiling. "Yeah. Looks like we're almost there."

Elsie and Prism watched as Akala Island became closer and closer. Before they knew it, they were at the shore, hopping off the boat. There they saw a woman standing there, as if she was waiting for them. Upon seeing the woman, Lillie smiled.

"It's nice to see you again Olivia." she greeted before turning to Elsie. "Elsie, this is Olivia. The Kahuna of Akala Island."

"He- I-I mean...a-alola." Elsie stammered, almost forgetting the normal greeting of this region.

"Well alola to you too Elsie. I take it that you're the new trial goer that Hau mentioned. You're from another region right?"

Elsie nodded. "Y-Yeah. Holon. There's uh...nothing much there so that why I'm here. To have a chance at a journey of my own."

"Then I hope that you enjoy your time here and that you manage to reach my grand trial."

Elsie nodded, watching the Kahuna walk away after saying a brief farewell to Kukui.

'So that's the next Kahuna that I'm going to face eventually...she looks tough. I'm gonna have to train super hard if I wanna be able to come close to beating her.'