7

"Rowlet, the Grass Quill Pokemon, a grass and flying type." Rotom informed Elsie, showing the new trainer what it could do. "Rowlet can fly silently through the skies, sneaking up on its opponent without being noticed. It can attack its opponents using powerful kicks, and it can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers."

"Thanks, Rotom," Elsie said.

"No problem!"

"So Elsie, what's Holon like?" Lillie asked as they along with Hau walked through Route 1.

"Yeah, what do trainers do there if there aren't any gyms or challenges that they do?" Hau asked.

"Well...there's nothing really to do aside from going to school there." Elsie admitted. "That's why Holon got into contact with other regions and made that program. So that some could actually have a pokemon journey. Of course, they can't send every kid to another region so they came up with that exam that we had to take the day after I met Hau. Those with high enough scores were the ones permitted to go. A lot of people say that Holon is just a shell of what it could've been because of our history but...I think it's just a legend."

"What history?"

"Well according to the legend...there were two main guardians of Holon. One granted everlasting strength and the other everlasting knowledge. However, they soon grew tired of their role, because they were only visited by humans to be blessed with some of their power. But soon, one person came seeking friendship instead of power. That person regularly visited the guardians, creating a deep friendship with them. Things between the three of them were fairly peaceful...until one night. A small army approached the guardians while their human friend was there and a battle ensued...one that took the life of the human friend when they tried to protect the guardians. After their friend's death, the guardians left Holon entirely, leaving everyone there to fend for themselves."

"Wow, that took a dark turn," Hau commented, scratching the back of his head. "Though I definitely see the perspective of the guardians. You probably don't wanna help out the same people that hurt someone close to you."

"Why did they attack?" Lillie asked.

"I don't know. Some say they believed that the human friend was taking the guardians' blessing all to themself while others say that the army believed the friend was just distracting the guardians from doing their job. Either way, the guardian's vanished without a trace once they buried their friend. That's pretty much what they tell everyone when kids ask why Holon doesn't have anything but school. That's the only thing that they could do. Most kids that are able to journey to a region never come back just because they have more opportunities away from home."

"So what about you? Are you planning on staying in Alola?" Hau asked.

"I'm not sure yet."

"Well either way, no more talking about dark stories," Lillie said. "We're here."

Elsie looked up to see Iki Town in front of her. As she followed Lillie and Hau, a man came approaching them. Upon seeing the man, Hau grinned and waved.

"Hey, Gramps!"

'So that must be Kahuna Hala.' Elsie thought.

"Ah, you must be the student from the Holon region," Hala noted. "Welcome to Melemele Island."

"He- er...Alola." Elsie greeted, remembering how those here usually say hello. Hala smiled and nodded, letting her know that she got it right.

"You got a Z-Ring for her right Gramps?" Hau asked. "That way she can start her Island Challenge."