42

Elsie took a cautious step into the empty room in the back. At first glance, it seemed as if nothing was in here. The room seemed pretty small compared to other trial areas that she's visited. Almost as if it was just big enough for a battle.

"That's odd... I could've sworn that the Pikachu we saw ran in here." she said mostly to herself. "In fact I'm pretty sure this is the only place that it would be able to hide if it ran to this general area."

Suddenly her Rotom Dex seemed to have glitched, the Pokefinder activating all on its own. At first it startled Elsie but after the pattern she's been doing ever since she stepped into this trial site, she quickly put the pieces together. Taking the Pokefinder in her hands, she began to scan the room. It wasn't until she turned around to scan the wall behind her that she found what was the cause of all this.

'I've never seen a pokemon like this before.' she thought. 'It looks like an old and tattered Pikachu doll.'

She snapped a picture and the strange pokemon and it appeared without the need of the Pokefinder.

"Seeee meeee!?" it screeched before jumping to attack.

"What pokemon is that!?"

"Mimikyu, the Disguise Pokemon." Rotom stated. It seemed that it had regained control of its functions once the pokemon had revealed itself. "A ghost and fairy type. Mimikyu lives its life completely covered by its cloth and is always hidden. People believe that anybody who sees its true form beneath the cloth will be stricken with a mysterious illness. People in the Alola region are convinced that you must never try to peek beneath its covering. Mimikyu health fails when it's bathed in the rays of the sun, so it prefers to stick to dark places. It's rumored that the reason it covers itself with cloth is to avoid sunlight."

'Ghost and fairy type. That means that Prism and Sapphire are both at an extreme disadvantage if they participate in this fight. And Ico is going to also be pretty vulnerable to any ghost type attack this Mimikyu has.' Elsie thought before steeling herself for the totem battle at hand.

"Alright, the last trial of Ula'Ula Island.... we can find a way to get through this. Skye use Accelerock!"

The Lycanroc nodded, charging forward at blinding speed with the first attack. The Totem Mimikyu seemed to have made no effort to dodge the attack, simply taking it head on. Skye jumped back the moment Accelerock landed but there didn't seem to be a scratch on Mimikyu.

"W-What? The attack... did nothing." Elsie gaped in disbelief. "Neither ghost nor fairy are immune to rock type moves so how can that be?"

A few seconds later, Mimikyu's head flopped over to the side, which... disturbed the young trainer to some degree. It looked like its neck was broken. She was considering falling back but then Totem Mimikyu suddenly used Play Rough. The attack was so quick and sudden that Skye wasn't able to fully prepare himself. When the attack was done, Skye looked like as if he was struggling to stand up for a few seconds before steadying himself.

Elsie quickly noticed all the scratches covering her Lycanroc's body. 'It did that much damage with one attack!? Just how strong is this pokemon!?'

It wasn't long until a Banette appeared on the Mimikyu's side.

'Skye is going to get overwhelmed by this battle fast if I don't pull him out of there soon.' Elsie thought as she grabbed his pokeball. But she stopped her action when Skye turned to look at her, then shook his head.

'He... doesn't want to pull back. He wants to see his part of the battle to the end... even if it means he'll lose.'

"Use Rock Slide!"

With the last of his strength, Skye prepared a Rock Slide, but it wasn't long until the Banette sprung into action by using Curse. At first it didn't look like the move had done anything as Skye was able to attack without being interrupted. But moments after, the effects of the Curse was clear. Skye had managed to just barely dodge a Shadow Claw from the Totem Pokemon but he later grimaced in pain as a shadowy aura surrounded him. Skye fell the moment the aura had disappeared, unable to battle.

'So that's what Curse does when a ghost type uses it?' Elsie thought. 'Well... at least Mimikyu took damage from the Rock Slide. I guess whatever ability it has prevents it from taking damage on the first attack during a battle.'

It was then that Ico stepped forward, placing a hand on Elsie's shoulder. She looked up at her Decidueye and nodded.

"I understand. Alright, Ico you're next."

The Totem Mimikyu seemed to have growled at Ico the moment he stepped up to battle, dashing forward with Shadow Claw.

"Intersect it with Leaf Blade!"

If there was ever going to be a pokemon sword duel, then what Elsie was seeing now was the closest thing to that. Her Decidueye summoning a blade and parrying every claw that Mimikyu was swinging. Banette soon came from behind its ally and used Screech. Ico flinched due to his sudden and unpleasant noise which allowed Mimikyu to land a blow with Shadow Claw. The Decidueye stumbled back, holding his now injured wing.

"Mimikyu seems to be trying to catch its breath from the attack before. Ico, try and use Spirit Shackle while it's still trying to recover."

Ico nodded and notched one of his arrows, firing it. Mimikyu, who was caught off guard tried to dodge but the arrow managed to hit, even sticking itself in the tattered cloth, preventing the Totem Pokemon from moving. Now panicked, the Mimikyu struggled to get away from the Spirit Shackle trapping it.

"Alright, one final push.... Ico use Leaf Blade one more time!"

Ico ran forward, using Leaf Blade again. The Banette tried to jump in to save the Totem Pokemon but it was soon swept away along with the Mimikyu by the final attack. Both pokemon soon fled the little room.

"Looks like we managed to get through this trial. Thanks for all your hard work Ico. You too Skye."

Ico nodded in thanks while Skye's pokeball wiggled slightly in Elsie's hand.

"Oh wait, almost forgot. Before we leave, we should make sure we have all the pictures that we needed to show Acerola."

Aside from the slight spooks and exhaustion, it seemed that the only evidence that they were here at all were the pictures of the Gengar line along with a blurry image of Mimikyu.