44

"Well I guess that's it." the kahuna said with a shrug. "Try again next time I guess."

Evan simply nodded, his head hanging in defeat. From the distance she was at, Elsie found it hard to figure out the boy's expression. She hoped he didn't take the defeat too hard.

'One of the last things that I expected was to see Evan here.' Elsie thought. 'Let alone witness him just lose a battle. Even though my personal encounters with him.... weren't great, he still seemed like a strong trainer.'

She then turned her attention to the one that had just defeated the trainer. Judging by his clothes, he was a police officer of some sort. He... also looked very tired. Like he'd rather take a nap or do anything really rather than have this battle.

'Maybe I should come back another time when he and his pokemon have gotten some rest.'

However, before she could even move, the Kahuna turned to her.

"You there girl. Are you here for a battle too?"

"Y-Yes sir." Elsie stammered. "If you're okay with having a second battle that is."

"You are aware that challenging him to a battle means you're starting a grand trial right?" Evan questioned.

Elsie nodded. "I've finished all my trials and am ready for the grand trial."

"I highly doubt that."

"No use trying to go straight to battling kahunas if you haven't done everything else first," Nanu said with a shrug as he walked toward Elsie. "Even if you got away with that you'd just be setting yourself up for failure."

Elsie took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for the battle at hand. Without any words exchanged, Nanu brought out his first pokemon, a Sableye. In response, Elsie sent out Sapphire.

'Sableye's only weakness is fairy-type moves so Sapphire's Disarming Voice will be the key in this round. But first...'

"Sapphire, use Dragon Breath."

"Fake Out."

Sapphire prepared to use Dragon Breath but before she could release the attack, Sableye dashed forward and caused the Altaria to flinch with Fake Out. Sapphire quickly shook off the small attack.

'Just what I thought. It's pretty common for pokemon like Sableye to have Fake Out.' Elsie thought. 'Getting that out of the way will ensure that we're not wasting energy.'

Out of the corner, Elsie noticed that Evan hadn't left the spot where he was standing, eyeing her and her pokemon closely.

'He's actually going to watch? But why? Never mind, I got more important things to deal with at the moment.'

"Use Power Gem," Nanu said.

"Dodge and then grab Sableye!"

Sapphire soon found herself airborne, dodging the glowing gems shooting toward her. As she avoided the Power Gem, she got closer and closer to her opponent. Once there were no longer any attacks aimed toward her, the Altaria quickly grabbed Sableye and shot up into the air.

"Now use Disarming Voice!"

"Shadow Ball."

Once Sableye was thrown into the air, it launched a Shadow Ball toward its opponent. Sapphire, with a determined look, suddenly covered herself in a blinding light. The light clashed with the Shadow Ball, a power struggle happening between the two moves before the ghost-type move disappeared, allowing the light to continue on its path toward its target. Sapphire landed gracefully on her feet as Sableye crashed the second after it was hit by the blinding light. When the dust cleared, Sableye was unconscious.