47

Elsie couldn't help but wonder what this place that Lillie and Hau were wanting to take her. Based on what Lillie had told her, it was an abandoned trial site of sorts, sharing stories about how she had traveled there with a close friend of hers.

Hau on the other hand hadn't heard about the old trial site until much later and now this was the perfect chance to see it himself.

'If this trial site is abandoned, then there's a good chance that neither of them has gone through it.' Elsie thought. 'I wonder how this site got abandoned in the first place.'

Her mind was racing, trying to figure out what kind of pokemon she was going to encounter. Perhaps it would have something to do with flying types considering that it seemed that they were climbing somewhere pretty high up.

'Maybe I'll face a Totem Toucannon or something along those lines.' she thought. 'Or the trial could have something to do with Oricorio.'

She was snapped out of her thoughts when Hau called her name.

"So since you're on the last island, does this mean that you'll be challenging Alola's league soon?" he asked.

It was then that Elsie remembered that no one knew of her plans to go back to Holon.

'This is probably going to come out of nowhere for them. But... to be fair I was only around halfway done with Ula'Ula Island that I got friends to agree with this plan so it's not like I've been planning this all along.' she thought. 'Hopefully, they take the news okay.'

"Well I don't know to be honest... recently I've been talking with some friends of mine who also went to other regions to go on a pokemon journey." she started. "And... when figuring out that Kukui had created a Pokemon League for Alola... we decided that we wanna do the same thing for Holon. Whenever we're done with our journeys in our regions, we're planning on going back to Holon and having our own Gym Leaders and Elite Four there. That way no one else has to go somewhere super far away just for the chance to have a pokemon journey of their own."

"So Kukui inspired you to create a league for your region huh? Guess whenever it's done we'll have to stop by and see what it's like." Hau said with a grin. "Or... at the very least you come back when you're champion on Holon so we can have a battle."

"I think it's wonderful that you want to go back and create a league for your home region," Lillie said. "You said back on our way to Akala that not many kids in Holon get to go on a journey since the Trainer's Exam is so hard right? Making it more available will make the exam a bit easier."

Elsie nodded, not being able to help but smile as well. 'They took it pretty well. Unlike...'

She immediately shook her head at the thought. She hadn't thought about her for a while now. There was no point in dwelling on what could've been done with that situation.... if there was something that could be done in the first place.

"I don't know if I'll ever become something like a champion but whenever I do go back it would be really nice to see you two again. I could show you around Holon if you two come and visit."

"You never know what could happen. Years ago I never thought I'd be a pokemon trainer and now I'm almost done with my trials." Lillie noted. "At least keep the option open if you're not going to make it your main goal."

'That's a good point. There's no telling what life is going to keep throwing my way.' Elsie thought. 'Heck it wasn't that long ago when I never thought I'd be able to go on a journey and now I'm on the final stretch of my island challenge and planning on making gym leaders and a league for Holon. Still being a champion... I don't think I'd be ever to reach that level of strength. It's a very slim chance... but a chance nonetheless.'

The three continued their trek on Vast Poni Canyon. Elsie was surprised that the path to the top was so full of twists and turns. There were even times when they used tree branches to get across from one area to another.

"Hey Lillie, just how much farther is it?" Elsie asked at one point, somewhat fearing that they were all doing to fall.

"We're almost to the trial site," Lillie assured her. "Just a little further."

'At least this has to be the last time we have to cross a small bridge made of branches.'

Finally, they made it to what looked like a tunnel of some sort. Judging by how far they had already gotten, Elsie assumed that this was the place where the abandoned trial was. Lillie confirmed her prediction as she looked around and nodded.

"We're here. This is definitely the place."

Elsie took a step forward. "So through here is the place that I get a Z crystal that Prism can use?"

"Yes. Since there's no instruction by a captain, all you have to do is walk through and face the totem pokemon on the other side." Lillie explained. "We'll be right behind you."

Elsie nodded and went inside the tunnel. The first thing that she saw was a stone tablet with faded writing on it. She read it aloud to herself.

"Ahead lies a sacred ground of trials. None who do not take part in its trials will be allowed to walk upon this earth. Those lacking the courage to defeat the totem guarding this land will be denied entry. But those who believe in their Pokemon and walk beside them shall gain great power."

'I can't help but feel like something is watching me.' Elsie thought. 'Maybe even evaluating me. But there's no turning back now. I have to get through this.'

With that, she walked forward.