𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
"The truth"
——

Maggie, Jane, Ashton, Negan, Gabriel, and Elijah make their way towards Meridian

Maggie, Jane, Ashton, Negan, Gabriel, and Elijah make their way towards Meridian. "Wait," Maggie stops everyone. "Take a minute, then we're almost there" Maggie states, giving everyone a chance to breath since they're only about 3 miles out. "You can't be serious" Negan says breathlessly. "Daryl just told us to go home" Negan states. "We still haven't gotten that food" Jane argues as she turns around to face Negan.

"Yeah, and I didn't hear him say that" Maggie agrees. "I think he was being subtle. He said they were armed with lookouts" Negan states, reciting what Daryl said back at the supply depot. "But he knows I would never turn back" Maggie theorizes.

"How are you gonna keep going? With what army?" Negan asks. "If you don't want to be here, go. The rest of us actually care what happens with other peoples lives" Ashton speaks up. "Our people are about to stave and I'm not going back to my family having failed" Gabriel says, backing up Maggie and Jane. "At least admit what you're asking of us— walking to our deaths for what, a sack of beans?" Negan questions, not knowing if he should risk his life for the people of Alexandria.

Maggie suggests Negan go back to Alexandria after Negan expresses skepticism about their odds of defeating the Reapers. Negan realizes she can't afford to lose any fighters, "I want you two" Negan starts off by pointing to Jane and Maggie. "To make me a promise— in front of the goddam priest— and I will stick around" Negan says and Jane rolls her eyes as she looks around at their surroundings.

"We don't have time for this" Jane argues. "Promise you what?" Maggie asks and Jane scoffs as she looks to Maggie who's willing to promise him. "I do this for you, I risk my life for you. We're even. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder" Negan states and Jane shakes her head as he continues talking because she knows what he wants. "We will never be even. We will never be friends. I will never trust you. Ever" Jane states, stepping towards Negan aggressively.

"Then you lose a solider you desperately need" Negan says, leaving Jane speechless that he'd actually take a promise from her. "I don't care for Maggie's promise but yours means the most to me" Negan states as Jane tilts her head while narrowing her eyes in his direction.

Negan puts his hand out in front of Jane. Jane looks down at it and watches as Maggie steps in front of her and shakes his hand. "You got a deal with me" Maggie says before she lets go of his hand and turns to look at Jane who is too hesitant to shake his hand. She lifts her head and looks up at him. "You got a deal but I am not shaking your hand" Jane states before they hear rustling in the trees and see a walker coming towards them. Turns out the walker was the best friend of Elijah's sister. Maggie vows revenge and hatches a plan.

Gabriel delivers a eulogy as Maggie, Jane, Ashton, Negan, and Elijah stand over the grave of Elijah's friend. Ashton pats Elijah on the back reassuringly before pulling him in for a hug, knowing it's definitely not easy to lose a sibling in this kind of world.