𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER THRITY-NINE
"Aunt Maggie"
——

The survivors at the Tower scramble to their posts as the Whisperer horde descends upon them

The survivors at the Tower scramble to their posts as the Whisperer horde descends upon them. As Gabriel observes the enemy from a window, Gracie and R.J. admit that they're scared. Gabriel tries to reassure them by likening the communities (Alexandria, Oceanside, Hilltop, and the Kingdom) to fingers of a hand which, while weak on their own, together form a mighty fist. When asked about the fifth finger, Gabriel claims that it represents those that aren't here and might come to help, or otherwise find help. As Gabriel delivers his speech, Daryl, Jane, Roslyn, Judith, Carol, and Kelly just barely make it back to the Tower.

At the hospital stairway, Daryl and Carol and Jane and Silas are setting traps. "We're good, right?" Jane asks as she and Silas start setting down one of the traps. "We're good" Silas says coldly as he secures the trap.

"Come on, Silas. I'm sorry" Jane assures as she looks to Silas who sighs. "Me too" Silas says as he sets another trap by himself. "We can be friends. I'd really want that" Jane states before she goes over and starts helping Silas which suddenly leaves silence between the two of them.

"I'm sorry," Silas starts off as he and Jane finish the trap. "I don't mean to be an—". "Asshole" Jane finishes causing Silas to burst out into laughter before taking a seat on the steps where Jane joins him. "Yeah, an asshole. I really do you love you Jane. I guess I don't take rejection well" Silas says and Jane nods her head in agreement. "Ivy said that" Jane mentions and Silas scoffs before Jane nudges his arm playfully.

"You think we're gonna get out of this?" Silas asks and Jane lets out an undecided sigh as she looks around the slightly dark stairway her and Silas are at right now. "I've been through a lot. This is nothing" Jane answers as she turns her head towards Silas who clears his throat. "I know who I'll be standing by if the walkers get in" Silas says before he pats Janes back and stands to his feet, walking up the steps with Jane following behind.

Upstairs, they join the others as Gabriel goes over the plan with the rest of the group. "We lead the horde away, just not from Oceanside as we had planned. Once the walkers are clear, we evacuate to Rendezvous Point B. Luke. We ready?" Gabriel explains and looks to Luke for answers. Luke explains that he needs to get the sound system he's been making to the wagon.

"That wagon is on the other side of the horde" Magna points as she looks between Luke and Jane. "So, someone's gotta go through it?" Jerry asks to which the answer is a yes. Gabriel divides them into four two-man groups, with one carrying the cargo and one protecting.

"We can make it through. I'll help" Lydia volunteers but Beatrice and Rachel decline, as they don't trust her. Gabriel agrees to keep Lydia in the hospital. 

"Uh, we— we're not all going to make it through" Jane starts as she looks around at the group. "But it's the only way" Daryl agrees as he sends Jane a nod before Kelly volunteers to go with him.