𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚

CHAPTER TWELVE
"Carl Grimes"
——

"She's so adorable" Jane says referring to Gracie who is lying in her crib, just waking up from her nap

"She's so adorable" Jane says referring to Gracie who is lying in her crib, just waking up from her nap. Maggie and Jane continue to watch over Gracie, before Dianne enters the room with an inventory log. "Hey, Bertie and I finished the inventory" She says as she shuts the door behind her and Jane turns her attention towards Dianne. "How bad?" Maggie asks and Dianne sets her notebook on the desk near Maggie and Jane.

"By our count, you're gonna have to cut rations by another third just to make it through the week" Dianne suggests and Jane furrows her eyebrows as she stands from her seat and stands behind Maggie looking at the inventory log with her. "This includes the prisoners too?" Jane asks as she looks over at Dianne who clears her throat nervously. "It's worse if you include the prisoners".

"Jesus is still out scavenging. He could bring back something" Dianne states, hoping for the best and Jane nods her head before Dianne leaves the room so Jane and Maggie can talk amongst themselves. "So, we're basically starving if we give the prisoners rations" Maggie states before she slams the inventory book closed. "We have to hope Jesus is good at his job and brings back something good or useful" Jane says as she sits back down in her seat. "Hope can only get you so far" Maggie explains and Jane shrugs her shoulders. "Then we'll see how far it can get us" Jane states.

"Oh, by the way. Gregory wants to speak to you both" Dianne says as she enters the room again. "Can you watch Gracie?" Jane asks and Dianne nods her head having no problem looking after Gracie while Maggie and Jane go have a chat with Gregory.

"Jackie! Margaret!" Gregory cheers and Jane groans in annoyance as her and Maggie approach Gregory at the barbed-wire fence. "What do you want, Gregory?" Maggie asks. "I know we haven't exactly seen eye to eye to anything. Loyalties have been questioned, fingers have been pointed... All of that aside, you have to admit that, since you threw me in here, my behavior has been pretty good" Gregory states and Jane chuckles humorlessly as she looks to a begging Gregory.

"You're not leaving this pen, Gregory. Your behavior is good because you're scared" Jane points out before she motions to Maggie they should leave and the two women start to walk away. "What? You're not even gonna hear me out?" Gregory questions making Jane roll her eyes in disbelief.

"You can't leave me in here forever" Gregory declares and Jane pulls out a new gun from her holster and points it at Gregory. "Then please... give me or Maggie here a reason to shoot you dead right here right now and we won't have to keep you in here forever" Jane states as she grips the handle of her gun. "He's right, you know" One of the prisoners step up and Jane furrows her eyebrows as she slowly puts her gun away.

"We've been good. We've done everything you've told us to do and still, last night, you took one of us out and—" The man tries to reason. "I know what I did. I don't regret it either. But if you wanna be next just let me know and I can get another box made for you" Jane states as she walks closer to the fence.

"Listen, the longer you treat us like the enemy, the more we're gonna act—". "You are the enemy" Maggie interrupts as she stands beside Jane. "I don't think we have to be" The Savior states and Jane rolls her eyes. "What the hell do you want?" Jane asks as she looks the prisoner up and down. The man then suggests that the prisoners be allowed supervised freedom every once in a while for a few minutes each. "Hell no" Jane disagrees immediately.

"We don't have the resources to oblige you, even if we wanted to" Maggie states and the man shakes his head in disbelief. "So, that's it, then?" He asks and Jane scoffs. "Actually no, we're cutting off your rations too" Jane informs and Maggie nods her head in agreement. "A few days, maybe longer" Maggie states and Gregory furrows his eyebrows in confusion while Maggie and Jane walk away.

"Jane!" The man calls out and Jane sighs and turns around to face the prisoner. "These people come first not you" Jane states before her and Maggie walk away side by side.

A few hours later, Daryl, Tara and a few more Alexandrians return to Hilltop along with Judith bearing the news of the town's downfall and the loss of Carl. "What?" Jane questions not thinking she heard him correctly. "Carl. He was bitten and he didn't make it" Daryl confesses once again and Jane shakes her head slowly as her eyes cloud with tears. News of Carl's death brings Enid to her knees in sorrow, and Maggie comforts her. Jane stands next to the two while a tear slides down her cheek as they've lost another one of their people once again. Carl Grimes.

Jane walks up to meet the rest of the group and Carl rushes up to her. "Oh, Carl" Jane breathes out as she pulls him in for a hug and rubs his back reassuringly.

Jane quickly wipes the tear from her eye and leaves Maggie to comfort Enid in this sad time.

"Excuse me" Someone calls out to Jane while she looks out at her people working hard to fortify Hilltop. Jane turns her head in the man's direction, "Hello" Jane greets before the man, Siddiq personally thanks her for her and Maggie's hospitality. "We don't have much but we have a enough so... you're welcome" Jane says as she sniffles in some of her tears.

"You're wrong. It's everything" Siddiq declares which makes a smile spread on Jane's face. "Do you have a hospital here? Infirmary?" Siddiq asks and Jane sighs and nods her head. "Yes but— Is there something wrong with you?" Jane asks as she looks to him. "Oh no no. I just have some medical experience. Thought I could pitch in and help" Siddiq states and Jane nods her head slowly. "Yeah,  in the trailers. Thank you" Jane says as Siddiq nods his head and begins walking towards the trailers and Jane starts to think maybe there is hope. For everyone.

Maggie returns to the holding pen and agrees to Alden, the prisoner who tried to make a deal with Jane and Maggie before, allowing a maximum of two Saviors at any given time out of the pen for work, exercise and, if the need arises, medical attention. Gregory, while grateful for her decision, is worried about an impending attack by the Saviors and implores that Maggie consider an evacuation, fearing losing the war. She remains strong, telling Gregory that with all they have now, there is little possibility for loss.

"Hi Judith!" Jane greets as she walks up to Judith who's playing with her toys on the porch of the Manor house. Judith stands to her feet and walks over to Jane, rushing towards her and hugs her legs. Jane chuckles as she pats Judith's back before Judith goes back to her toys. "Open the gates! It's Rick!" Kal shouts from his outpost and Jane's attention is brought to the gates as Rick's arrival is announced.

 "Open the gates! It's Rick!" Kal shouts from his outpost and Jane's attention is brought to the gates as Rick's arrival is announced