𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮

CHAPTER FORTY
"Pope Marked You"
——

Out in the woods, Maggie, Jane, Roslyn and Judith are clearing out walkers together

Out in the woods, Maggie, Jane, Roslyn and Judith are clearing out walkers together. After putting down a zombified Whisperer, Maggie asks Judith about Michonne and what she told R.J. "Well, I took him to the roof. The sky was full of stars and I told him, that mom was looking at the very same stars as us" Judith says as she smiles up at Maggie and Jane.

"I thought that everyday while I was gone too. Cause it was true" Maggie says as she rubs underneath Roslyn's chin gently. The pair join Lydia and the others on the road. When the others pull the cart away, Maggie is suddenly confronted with the sight of Negan, helping the other survivors as a free man. "He's out?" Maggie asks looking to Jane who stares at Negan with anger in her eyes.

"Hey, Maggie" Negan greets as he looks between the two women who could kill him right now if they wanted too. "You won't believe who let him out" Jane says as she walks past Negan with Roslyn following behind her. After staring at him for a bit, Maggie also walks away without saying a word.

Near the Hilltop, Daryl and Carol are joined by Maggie and Jane along with two other members of Maggie's group, whom she introduces as Elijah and Cole. Maggie explains that she has been living with the group until the destruction of their village, so she thought she'd resettle everyone at Hilltop. Carol, Jane and Daryl give each other an uneasy look, much to Maggie's confusion. "About that..." Jane trails off.

Things are cleared up once they show Maggie that Hilltop has been destroyed. While she is looking over the burnt out husk that was once her home, Carol tells Maggie that Negan was with the Whisperers the night that it burned down. Jane rolls her eyes as she looks away from Carol. "Tell her the truth" Jane says before clearing her throat.

"What truth?" Maggie asks looking over at Carol who stammers over her words and Maggie soon realizes. "You let him out?" Maggie asks and Carol not answering is enough conformation for her.

"Alpha needed to die" Carol defends. "Negan needed to rot" Maggie argues looking to Carol. "Negan was our best chance. We were gonna lose everything" Carol explains as Maggie turns her head to face Jane who looks to her apologetically. "I tried my best to run it and to save it but in the end I just couldn't. They were too strong" Jane states and Maggie nods her head looking back at Hilltop.

Cole asks if they're supposed to just live alongside Negan in Alexandria despite the fact that he burned down the Hilltop and killed Jane's husband, to which Daryl replies that they're still figuring things out. "Thank you for telling me" Maggie thanks and Carol nods her head. "Yeah, it's the best thing you've done for 6 years" Jane says as she groans in pain from her stab wound that was cauterized and watched as Maggie storms off. "I have to get to my people" Maggie calls out before Jane starts following after her.

As Daryl trails behind Maggie, Kelly catches up and volunteers to help with the mission, as she also wants to look for Connie. The group walks for most of the day, until Cole informs Maggie that there is only half an hour of daylight left. "Let's keep going" Maggie states as Jane breathes heavily while also holding her wound watching Maggie pick up the pace and Jane can't help but wonder why Maggie's such in a hurry, it has to be more than just her people she's worried about.