Chapter 83: Nothing to Say

Start from the beginning

"What are those?" Beck pipes up curiously, pointing at the glasses. "Are those the-"

"EDITH glasses, yeah," Peter cuts him off.

"You made big talk about responsibility and then left a multibillion-dollar pair of glasses on the floor... That doesn't seem responsible to me," I tease, shaking my head.

Peter clicks his tongue and playfully shoves me. "Shut up," he fires back, making me giggle.

"Try them on. Let's see how they look on you," Beck jumps in.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," Beck responds.

Peter puts them on and turns to him before turning to me. I grin and nod approvingly at him before he looks at Beck again, who stares back blankly.

"I actually really like them," Peter states.

"Me too. I think you look cute," I opine, smiling at my boyfriend. He smiles back at me, happy to hear that.

"Can I be completely honest with you?" Beck pipes up.

"Please," Peter responds.

"They look really stupid."

I give him an offended look while Peter just stares at him blankly. "Oh," he reacts.

"What?? No, they don't! Don't listen to him, Pete, he doesn't know fashion," I voice, gazing at Peter and pointing at Beck.

The man laughs at my claim. "Hey, that's just my opinion," he states, lifting his hands in surrender. His eyes land on Peter and he utters, "maybe they have a contact-lens version of them."

Peter takes them off and suggests, "you try them on," handing the pair to him.

"No, come on," Beck chuckles

"Try them on," Peter pushes.

"Yeah, let's see if they look stupid on you," I jump in, smirking.

"Oh, okay," Beck laughs at my words. "I don't wanna- I don't wanna try them on," he claims, waving his hand dismissively.

"Just put them on!" Peter says in a whiny voice. Beck gives in and scoffs, taking the glasses from him. I lean against the counter, resting my head in my hand and smiling mockingly at the man, fully prepared to make fun of him.

He finally slides them on his face and looks up at us. When he does, my smile instantly drops as my heart sinks to my stomach. I no longer want to make fun of him. He looks so much like Tony with the glasses on... It's kind of chilling. I speechlessly stare at him as he gives us a look as if to ask: well?

"What do you guys think?"

I hear Peter quietly sigh so I rip my eyes away from Beck to look at him. He turns to me as well, and I can see the sadness in his eyes. He sees the resemblance too. Realization takes over his features and he looks down at the counter. "Peter?" I softly ask, placing my hand over his.

"Next Tony Stark, I trust you..." he whispers. He's not thinking what I think he's thinking... "For the next Tony Stark, I trust you," he repeats at normal volume.

"What?" Beck questions.

"Mr. Stark left me a message with those glasses: 'For the next Tony Stark, I trust you," Peter claims. I slowly remove my hand from his and fold my arms on the counter in front of me, staring down. I don't know how to feel about this.

"I'm still not following. How many lemonades have you had?" Beck asks him.

"He knew every mistake I ever made. Okay? So he must've known I was not ready for something like this."