Ch 54

Flat color and some line work

Narrator POV

Charlie huddled under her shawl, staring at the business card in her hand.

Just as Alastor said...when she had gone out in a disguise making a show of being miserable in Xander's territory, next thing she knows, this business card appears in her pocket.

Flipping it in her hand, there's one instruction.

"Put this card against any flat surface to change your fate"

So, Charlie took the card and walked into a back alley, slowly setting it on the ground.

She gasped softly when the card began to glow, and then expanded quickly into an open doorway.

Right under her.

She screamed right before she fell, and the door snapped shut, cutting off the sound.

The gravity shifted beneath the princess's feet, and she landed on her bottom, bouncing softly against the concrete. She winced, rubbing her bottom as she stood up.

She wrapped the shawl around herself tighter, looking around the dark lair.

It smelled like rotting meat.

Walking forward, her steps echoed softly through the large cavernous space.

"H-hello?" She called out, "is anyone there?"

There was silence...an empty chair sat directly in front of her at what looked to be the center of the room. The large black angel wings attached to the back made her blood run cold.

She noticed the sleeping animals next to the chair, and tilted her head.

Then Attala's eyes snapped open, glowing a menacing red in the dim room. She immediately growled at the stranger, lifting from her spot.

The fur and spikes along her back stood up, and she chuckled hauntingly, slowly approaching the unfortunate newcomer.

Charlie watched in dismay as the creature approached her. She doesn't want to kill it...but if she must—

"Attala!"

Charlie jumped slightly, whereas Attala lowered her eyelids and huffed in annoyance. She sulked back to her spot, and Charlie looked to the source of the voice.

Standing further away, in a darkened doorway, was Xander.

Dressed very casually.

Charlie tilted her head at his appearance...wearing only a dress shirt and slacks instead of his usual suit. Even his shoes were more casual.

"Sorry about her," he said with a chuckle, "she's a bit territorial...so, I heard you have a bit of a problem?" He asked, a large smile on his face.

Charlie kept the shawl wrapped tightly around herself, making sure not too much of her face was showing.