Ch 50

Still workin

Y'all, this book hit 4K, Haunted hit 18k and my account hit 100 followers— happy Valentine's Day to me, bruh😩 yes...I know I wished you all an early happy valentines BUT MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE STILL STANDS ❤️😤

Also I feel like a small detail to mention about Xan's chair— it's made out of real demon flesh and the legs are actual taxidermic limbs. (And now angel wings.)

Also my car fucking died last night and I'm solely blaming Xander.

Aria's POV

He led me down the hallway and something I noticed immediately were the rose petals that were scattered across the floor.

The lights were dimmed, and there were a few candles placed here and there, along with soft music playing from somewhere in the house.

He hummed quietly to the tune, his voice mixing smoothly with the noise. There was an appreciative feeling swimming around my chest at each little detail I noticed.

From the fragrance of the room, to the volume of the music.

He really did make sure everything was just right.

We walked a bit further into the living room, and I almost gasped. He had arranged the furniture in a way that actually did resemble a restaurant. Along with that, he somehow got an actual dinner table right by the lit fireplace.

"Alastor..." I breathed quietly, "you didn't have to do all this for me..." I said, looking up at him as he walked me to the table.

He chuckled, and looked down at me before gently tugging out of my grip to pull my chair out for me.

"I know, peu d'amour..." he said, and kissed the top of my head before he rounded the table to sit across from me, "I wanted to."

I couldn't hide my smile, shying away from the sentiment on impulse. He reached across the table and took one of my hands in his, brushing his thumb across my knuckles gently.

"Don't hide your pretty eyes from me..." he said and I looked up at him, unable to contain my blush.

After all this time, and I'm still unable to function normally when he gets romantic like this.

As soon as our eyes met, he hummed and squeezed my hand, "you're so beautiful," he said, and I smiled wider.

"And you're so handsome~" I flirted back, making his grin spread wide across his face.

The little candle in the center of the table flickered softly, and the warmth from the fire directly to our right was comforting.

After we'd both gotten situated, I looked at him and tilted my head, "so, what is all this about, hm?" I asked him lightly with a small smile.

He returned my smile and chuckled softly, letting his eyes fall to our hands, "I just wanted to do something thoughtful for you...I know we haven't had much of a moment to just enjoy each other so...I wanted to take down the barrier of stress, and worry...and just have a moment with what matters the most to me," he said, looking up into my eyes again.

I blinked and my chest swelled at the sweetness of it all.

He sighed quietly, "you deserve a moments peace...this whole endeavor has felt exhausting on my part, so I can only guess how it must feel for you...so for tonight it's just you and I, again..."

Looking into my eyes, he gave me possibly the most tender look I've ever seen on his face before.

"Nothing else is outside these walls tonight...just us..." he said softly.