Ch 21

Alastor's POV

The table roared as I won my 8th straight game of poker.

Some men were abrasive and accusatory, some were just amazed and laughing heartily.

I simply gathered my chips, picking up one of them and running it through my knuckles before tossing it into the air and catching it.

"Rematch, anyone?" I asked, my eyes narrowing on the crowd of drunken miscreants.

Every single one of them backed away.

I chuckled, going to collect my chips, but then someone slammed their hand onto the table.

My eyes trained onto my challenger, my smile immediately widening.

"Ya think ya can beat me in poker, ya smilin' bastard?" Husk said gruffly, a rare smile on his face.

I glanced at the small girl seated next to me, watching the event intently.

She was staring at the chips on the table with wonder filled eyes.

"I do believe I have a chance," I said, my eyes lingering on her for a moment. I snapped and a hand appeared in her fingers.

She blinked and looked at me quickly, her eyes wide.

Her lips parted to speak but I cut in.

"But I believe it's this little lady who'll be beating you!" I exclaimed, and Husk laughed.

"Aria?" He chuckled, sitting across from us and forging a hand of his own. He shook his head.

"Ya just set the poor girl up for humiliation," he said, and my smile widened.

"She's rather good, Husk, I'd watch your words...you may end up eating them."

Just then there was a very frantic tug against my sleeve, and I looked over at her. My expression was calm, but hers was the polar opposite.

Suddenly my eyes widened when she grabbed me by the collar and yanked me down to her level, getting incredibly close to my face.

"I don't know how to play fucking poker!" She hissed quietly, her eyes flashing a deep red for a split second.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't frighten me just slightly.

But I chuckled, removing her hand from my collar and ignoring the curious stares we got because of that outburst.

I simply grabbed her chin and faced her forward.

"No speaking to your opponents, my dear," I said, narrowing my eyes on Husk.

I trailed my hand over her shoulder, brushing her hair back and running my claws gently down her back.

A touch I've done many times to make her feel safe. None of which she remembers.

However, it seemed to hold the same effect. The tension in her body let up, and she let out a soft breath.

Then she sent me a glare, a "you better not embarrass me" glare.

Don't worry, darling.

With that, the game began.

**

"How the fuck!" Husk growled, slamming his cards on the table.

I'd folded very soon into the game, solely focusing on the woman by my side.

And with each turn, I used a bit of magic to change the hand she held, making it the exact one she needed for the situation.

This, successfully winning her very first poker game.