Ch 17

Poor Eliot...

Unconditional love

Unconditional love...even when it hurts.

Alastor's POV

I need to be more careful...

As soon as I'd realized what I'd done in my office, I tried to disorient her.

I should've known she's smarter than that...

She...recognized her nickname...

Little love...

Her voice whispering those words was like music to my ears. I wish I could just tell her...I want to tell her.

I'm so tired of walking on eggshells around her. I wish she would wake up one morning and just...run and jump into my arms...

Tell me it's all been a bad dream...

Hell could melt away...we'd be back together in front of the fire...

But sadly, dreaming of what was and what will never be is not helpful.

What I need to do is stop confusing her more than she needs to be. I could see the clear frustration just in the way she was looking at me in the hallway.

Her eyes held a desperate look, desperate and sad.

I shouldn't have left her there the way I did, but I panicked because I can never say no to her. If she had kept pushing me, I would have caved.

Opening the sliding glass door that leads onto my balcony, I stepped outside. A soft sigh passed my lips and I leaned against the railing.

I observed the lay of the land. The clubs, casinos, porn studios, and other sinful places.

Far off in the distance, my gaze landed on cannibal colony. My smile lessened into a softer grin...simpler times.

Back when I felt nothing for anyone at all. Back when the people in my life were merely pieces on a board that I could use to win the ultimate prize of entertainment.

Back when I was playing chess...and everyone else was playing checkers.

Before I felt that first warm heartbeat in my chest after decades of frozen ice...

I summoned a cigarette and placed it between my lips. I didn't light it.

My mind wondered back to the look on her face as I trapped her between myself and the wall. The way her soft lashes fluttered, and she glanced at my lips.

An invitation that I was desperate to take...

But I didn't.

Because that...had I given-in to my true desires, it would not have meant the same thing to her that it means to me...