Ch 34

I know this seems like a chapter illustration, it's not. It's just an idea I had.

Closeup since transferring art destroys quality

Closeup since transferring art destroys quality. I forgot her freckles, don't sue me.

Aria's POV

A loud clap of thunder woke me up, my body jolting slightly.

My lips parted as a small gasp forced air into my lungs. My heart was beating slightly faster than normal, and I put my hand to my chest to try and slow it down.

I shifted slightly in bed, the sound of rain pelting the window becoming a soothing background noise.

Alastor laid next to me as usual, his lips parted slightly. His chest rose and fell evenly, gentle breaths indicating that the thunder hadn't disturbed him at all.

That's no surprise, I've always been more sensitive to storms.

I smiled as I looked at him, admiring his features.

Just as I started to move, aiming to settle my body against his, movement caught my eye.

I looked over to the door, and saw it creaking open just barely. The darkness of the hallway gave me no view of who may be entering.

Then my eyes fell lower when I realized there was no one there, and they widened when I saw the same two bright white eyes from yesterday staring back at me.

The little creature stayed halfway out in the hall, and I just stared at it.

I feel like I should be scared, but unlike with Xander, I feel no evil from this creature. It reminded me of a cat, almost.

The little ears on top of its head twitched, and it retreated back out into the hallway.

I sent a quick glance to Alastor.

He's still out cold.

Slowly I slid my legs out from under the covers, getting out of bed to follow this creature. My steps were soft as I made my way to the cracked door, and I pushed it open, stepping out into the dim hallway.

"Psst!" I hushed my voice, calling to the little thing.

Then I saw it at the end of the hallway. It stared at me for a moment before dipping into the stairwell.

Quickly I jogged down the hallway, turning into the stairway and looking over the railing. The small shadow stared up at me from the flight of stairs below.

"Hey, you!" I whispered down at it.

It scurried down the stairs.

"Hey!" I called again, and hurried down the stairs, "stop that, come here!" I whisper shouted.

I followed it all the way to the lobby, where it zipped across the floor, following the shadows cast on the ground.

I had to take a breather, putting my hands on my knees and pointing towards where it was now seated all the way across the room.