Ch 45

Short chap today, but hey! Got some sketches done!

Narrator POV

Zip looked at the house from a distance, hidden in the tree line.

Since the news that his master is incapable of breaking the protection spell put around the house, he's ordered the creature to get closer.

To get a better look.

Xander was far from being out of ideas. He had an arsenal of plans and backup plans and backup plans to backup those plans.

He could play games for an eternity...and he fully intended to if he needed to.

Zip was fully aware that once his master set his sights on something...or someone...all they could really do was count their days.

But this girl was different...

He ducked behind a tree at the sound of the door opening, and watched as Aria and the radio demon spilled from the house.

Their voices were far away, and zip watched them as Aria giggled and trotted away from him.

He could hear Alastor growling, but titled his head in confusion when he seemed to be playing with the fox.

The shadow creature is unfamiliar with a relationship like theirs...the nicest his master has ever been is with those wretched hyenas, and those beasts are just as nasty as he is.

These two were just...happy...

Zip chittered curiously, peeking from behind the tree as the demoness and the overlord ran around each other.

Er—it was more of the fox running around. The radio demon would cut her off by teleporting. She seemed to be having fun, though.

Suddenly zip felt light headed, and his master's voice flooded his brain.

"Report."

Zip transmitted the image he was watching to his master, showing that he'd made it to the house.

"Disgusting," Xander scoffed, "she's made him so soft...how pitiful."

Zip stayed silent, simply watching the scene in front of him. He felt a longing in his chest, his ears lowering slightly.

"I want you to get inside the house—I need to know what he's up to," Xander said, snapping Zip from his distracted state.

He confirmed that he understood, and Xander left his head.

The little creature let out a noise similar to a sigh, looking back to the couple. He watched the radio demon tackle the fox, and his ears perked up.

But when the overlord landed on his back, making sure to not squish or hurt the small woman, Zip realized they're still playing.

She wiggled in his arms and bit his hand playfully. They then just laid next to each other in the grass.

Aria lifted her hand, running it through Alastor's hair, smoothing one of his ears back lovingly.

Zip watched with wide eyes, cooing softly before he looked at his tiny paw-like hand. He rubbed it back over his head, smoothing his own ears down.

Just like before...it wasn't the same.

Alastor's POV

I was in the main living room, running my fingers along the spines of the many books the king has stocked on these shelves.

Now that we've gotten situated, I need to get to work on figuring out how to find...and end...this troublesome demon.

The faster I get this over with, the faster we get to go home...she deserves to live peacefully, with her friends.

My eyes wondered out the window to the porch swing that she was seated on. She held her phone in front of her face, smiling widely as her lips moved, indicating that she was speaking.

She laughed, and I wished I could hear the conversation she was having. She was on the phone with Angel I believe.

I sighed, looking back to the bookshelf. There has to be a book here that can help me.

Passing over each spine, I read them with a bored expression on my face. Then my ears perked up and I went back a couple spines.

A book on dark magic...

I took it from its spot, flipping the old thing over in my hand. The book was heavy, the black leather cover looking worn.

This might be what I need. The type of magic that Xander uses, I don't touch. He dabbles in dangerous magic...

Meaning he is very easy to kill...but also very difficult to kill.

A sigh pushed out of my lungs, my body lowering into one of the chairs by the nook in the living room. I glanced back outside, making sure Aria was still there.

She was, still talking on the phone.

I opened the book, beginning to skim the pages. There were introduction spells...basics, and warnings...

Most of this I have already mastered.

Then, I got to around the middle of the book. There was a page with very old, dried blood on it.

Written on the page in blood was the word 'STOP'.

So naturally, I turned the page.

The book started getting into the details of dark magic, going deeper. It described the power it could give you, and eternal life outside of death.

A way that you could trap your soul...a sacrifice. A sacrifice to the spirits...this grants unimaginable powers.

Of course I've read over these before, but I'd never paid too much attention to it. That's how temptation worms into your brain...allowing yourself to see the positives.

And not the negatives.

Xander's sacrifice was his eye...his left eye that is now replaced by a gemstone. It's the source of his power.

He keeps it somewhere in a talisman...if I could just figure out where he hides it...

If I could just break his talisman...that would destroy his sacrifice. He would quickly discover his "friends" aren't really his friends at all...

It all sounds so simple. So easy.

I know it won't be.

Running my hands down my face, I paused for a moment to think. Things have been quiet lately...nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I haven't sensed any breakage in the barrier, and no black magic has made it though.

There was a disturbance the other day, but when I went to check, there was just a pile of ash near the border of the protection spell.

I'm assuming he sent something to try and infiltrate it.

Now I need to keep my guard up, just in case he manages to send something that actually breaks through.

I kept reading, seeing if there was anything that could clue me in on anything for how I could fight him.

My magic is strong.

His is much stronger...

The book seemed to be useless, though, and I growled in frustration. All it talked about was how to perform the magic.

Nothing about how to stop it.

"Useless...fucking..." I grumbled and shut the book, sitting back in my chair and sighing. I'll just have to keep looking.

Maybe I can find something about where I can find him. Charlie said no one could ever figure it out...I wonder why that is.

So, I got up and went back over to the bookshelf, thumbing through the books once more to see if I could find anything helpful.