He blinked, and crawled closer to me cautiously. The little ears on his head lowered as he sniffed my hand, and then looked at me and nodded.

I blinked in surprise, "you understand me?" I asked him, and he nodded again.

Then I was surprised when he ducked under my hand, making me touch the top of his head. He rubbed against me, making a small chittering noise.

"You want pets?" I asked, scooting closer on my knees, smiling.

He's so cute.

I started petting his head, rubbing behind his ears and scratching. The little thing melted into my hand, and started purring.

His bright eyes squinted closed, and I looked behind him at where he was scratching.

The basement window...?

Was he trying to get in?

"What's up buddy? Why were you scratching?" I asked him, and my eyes widened when he crawled into my lap.

His little hands took fists of my shirt and he tugged.

"Me?" I asked him, and he nodded.

Those eyes stared up at me, and I immediately wanted to keep him. I scooped him up in my arms, holding him like a baby.

"Well! Let's go ask Alastor!" I said with a wide smile, and immediately the creature's eyes widened and his ears lowered.

He shook his head.

I tsk'd, "We gotta! He's not so bad," I chuckled, "he might look mean, but you're cute, he'll like you," I reassured the little creature.

He clung to me, and I walked back around to the front door.

I walked in, and looked around. He should be in the living room...and yes he is.

Making my way over to where he was, I gently rubbed the small creatures head. His little body shivered slightly, and I shushed him quietly.

Alastor was immersed in a book. There were several piled around him, some of them opened and some looking untouched.

"Babe!" I chirped, and he jumped slightly. He must've been really focused if I snuck up on him.

"Yes, dear?" He asked, sounding a bit tired.

I was about to speak, but his eyes fell on the small bundle in my arms. His gaze narrowed immediately.

"Aria, what is that?" He asked, his tone becoming serious. I held the creature under the arms and giddily held him out.

"Look! I found him outside, isn't he so cute?" I asked, pulling him back into my arms and booping his nose.

Alastor raised an eyebrow and leaned forward slightly, sniffing the little creature. Then he growled, his pupils turning to slits.

"It smells like pentagram city," he growled, and I chuckled.

The shadow clung to me, trying to get away from my growling boyfriend. I rubbed his head gently, "well, yea...he followed me, I think...him and I have met before," I smiled down at him.

"Put it back."

I froze, my smile faltering. I looked up at Alastor, furrowing my eyebrows and chuckling slightly, "...what?" I asked, wondering if I heard him correctly.

"Put that thing back where it came from." He said, his tone like ice as he stared at the adorable creature in my arms.

"I-I was actually going to ask if he can stay...I mean, he's so small..." I started, shaking my head slightly as I looked down.

"Absolutely not," was his immediate response, and I felt just a little irritated. What could the harm in this little creature be? He's basically the size of a cat, which is something Alastor has had before.

I rolled my eyes and held the shadow just a bit closer, "why, what's the harm?" I asked, my tone showing my slight irritation.

His eyes flicked up to mine, still narrowed.

"I said no." He said firmly, and I scoffed.

"And when did you decide you get to tell me what to do?" I shot back, putting my free hand on my hip.

Normally those words make him back off.

Not this time.

"Aria..." he growled, and I tried to explain again why we should keep him.

"C'mon, Al, he's so little, and he's all alone...he'll die if I put him back," I said, looking down at the small bundle in my arms. He looked up at me with big eyes and I rubbed his head gently.

"That is not our problem..." he said, tapping his claw against the table.

I frowned disapprovingly at those words, wondering what has gotten into him.

"Alast–"

"That is enough, Aria!" He shouted as he stood quickly and violently from his chair. The table he was sitting at rattled with the vehemence of his action.

My eyes lifted and my ears fell back, my expression losing any ounce of confidence.

His eyes were black pits with a bright red pupil and he snarled at me, baring his teeth in a menacing smile.

Suddenly, I felt two feet tall.

There was an almost immediate feeling of tears behind my eyes just at the tone of voice he used with me alone.

That mixed with the fact that he's looking at me like he's about to rip me to pieces.

I cradled the little creature in my arms, and he was trembling heavily after Alastor's outburst.

Black tar-like liquid pooled in his mouth before dripping down his chin, and the growl in his chest never ceasing.

"Put the damn thing back where it came from, or so help me I'll kill it my fucking self!" He snapped and I gasped softly, but it was more like a choke due to the burning feeling as my throat slowly closed.

All I could do was stare up at the beast in front of me, completely shocked and extremely hurt.

My lips met, trembling slightly before I turned and hurried back towards the front door with the poor animal wrapped in my arms.

Quickly, I put him down.

If I know anything about Alastor, I know he's not bluffing...

The little thing touched my leg and cooed, and I shook my head.

"You h-heard him...shoo...he'll kill you i-if you don't," I stuttered, holding back the sobs that wanted to erupt.

A couple tears slipped past my bottom lashes anyway as I urged the creature to leave. Gently I scooted him away.

"Go..." I whimpered, and he finally lowered his ears sadly and melted into a shadow on the ground, disappearing.

I just stood silently for a second...or maybe a few minutes.

I was avoiding going back inside...

But, I knew I couldn't avoid it forever...

So, taking a deep breath, I sniffled and wiped my face off, trying to hide the fact that I was crying...and I walked back inside.