Chapter 27

Sometime through the night after just mindlessly speaking and working and painting we'd went to bed, and I still didn't want to have to be alone.

For once.

I didn't want to be alone.

And so being the sweetheart he was, he let me crawl into his bee and beneath his covers, laying next to him, he let me hold his pillow before replacing it with his hand.

He moved closer behind me and when I didn't flinch away he relaxed, knowing I didn't mind, he kissed my shoulder softly, holding me too and I basked in his warmth as he held me.

He could sense I needed it, a touch, something more than an empty feeling, something more than the coldness without any body heat. I needed him close for a moment. And a moment was exactly what he gave me.

When I woke up with him still holding me I felt good. I felt comfortable. I felt okay. I felt better than I did in a long time which was a good sign.

But now I was even more concerned without all extra added emotions. Why was my father back here? Where was he staying now? Did he not have a new family? Was he happy? Why'd he come back? Why did he leave us just to come back years late?

Why?

I stare out the window just to see the sky, the sunrise, and I play with the pillowcase, nipping the end with my finger tips till he pulled my hand back to his, I feel his lips pressed to my knuckles behind me before he puts it down on my side, still holding my hand in his.

"Whats wrong, are you okay?"

I almost smile at how worried he sounds.

I nod, looking back to him over my shoulder.

His eyes meeting mine immediately before they drop to my lips, back to my eyes, and then my lips again, he leans closer, just a little, as if he didn't even mean to and force some reason, I do too and then- a fucking knock on the fucking door.

His forehead falls to mine at the sound and he groans softly, I smile a little smile. "Maybe its a sign." I whisper, as if saying it softer would be the equivalent of the words never having being said.

"Thankfully signs can be ignored." He mumbles back as he gets up and off the bed, stretching his arms out and my lips part as I get an eyeful of his abs and muscles that retract, straining against his deliciously tanned skin.

I look away, my body warming and my eyes widen when I look down and realized- my thighs were pressed together at something as small his back being on display.

The fuck.

I bite down on my lip hard and look over to the door to see he'd went out and downstairs so I could get up and get changed. Last night i'd just slept in one of his shirts but I couldn't be walking around like this while people were here.

I went to get my clothes in the other room, hearing familiar voices and so I quickly changed in there and redid my hair that was in a low ponytail before I walked downstairs, yawning softly and all their eyes moved to me at the sound.

"You're coming too?" Jake asks me quickly, almost excitedly and I raise a brow over at him. "Huh?" Coming where?

"To the lake house, remember?" Summer says from beside him on the couch and my lips part before I shake my head, "Oh- oh no im not- I don't even have clothes, im actually-"