Chapter 81: Night at the Opera

Start from the beginning

MJ stands behind y/n's chair and observes them, curious as to why they seem so nervous. Why would she need to comfort him over an opera? She wonders. She knows something is up with them. She definitely has a theory in mind, one that's been in development for quite some time now.

•~•~•~•

(Your dress)

(Your dress)

The class walks through a crowd of carnival-goers as fireworks go off in the sky. "I bet now you're all happy that I had you pack a nice outfit," Mr. Harrington chirps as he straightens his tie.

"Yeah because we'd much rather go to a four-hour opera instead of the biggest party in the world," Flash sarcastically retorts, pointing behind him.

"Again. Don't look at me," Mr. Dell remarks, wanting it to be crystal clear that he had no part in this decision.

Y/n and Peter are toward the back of the class, with Ezra and MJ in front of them and Brad behind them. "Parker, Sinclair, do you copy? Comm check, one, two," Hill's voice rings in the couple's ears. They don't respond, however, since they're in public. MJ turns over her shoulder to glance at them and y/n sends her a small smile. MJ returns the smile before turning back around to engage in conversation with Ezra.

Y/n glances at her boyfriend, noticing the worry on his features. She links her arm with his and leans close to his face, whispering, "everything's gonna be fine, okay?" The boy meets her eyes, relaxing a bit when he does so, and nods. Y/n soothingly rubs his arm with her free hand and a smirk makes its way onto her face. "You look good, by the way," she flirts, eyeing his suit.

Peter chuckles at this, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks. "Thanks, so do you. You look beautiful," he compliments back, quickly scanning her dress before meeting her eyes again.

Y/n giggles, butterflies swarming her stomach when the boy runs his eyes over her body. "Thanks." Brad looks between the two with an aggravated facial expression as he walks behind them. His frown deepens when his eyes shift to Peter. He's still bitter about how y/n defended Peter against him with no hesitation. He hates how protective she is over him.

After a few minutes of walking, they arrive at the opera house. Y/n looks around, admiring the interior architecture as they enter. She's never been interested in opera but she admires the sophistication of it all. "Okay. Here we are," Mr. Harrington declares as they enter the theater. "Beat the rush," he comments to his colleague.

"Yeah, the rush out," Mr. Dell remarks. The theater is practically empty, only a few old people are in the audience.

"Lucky for us, we got the best seats in the house," Harrington chirps before walking down the aisle.

Mr. Dell waves his hand, signaling the kids to follow him. "Let's go," he instructs before he starts walking. Everyone follows but MJ lingers back as she looks around and Ezra stays at her side. Y/n and Peter finally enter and the girl's eyes travel around the theater. Damn, this is sad, she thinks when she sees how empty it is.