Chapter 80: This Is Causing Me Stress

Start from the beginning

I grimace and turn to Peter, who also turns to me before we look at Ned. "Uh... here in the city," Peter answers.

Panic washes over Ned's face. "Guys, we're here!" he reacts.

"I know, I know. It's not good," Peter replies, eyeing our class.

"We're figuring it out. Everything's gonna be fine," I try to console Ned. At least I hope we can figure it out.

His fearful eyes flicker between us. "You have to do something, y/n, Peter, please. We're all counting on you guys."

"Ned?" Betty calls him.

"Yeah. Yeah, babe," Ned responds, walking off toward her. Peter and I watch him leave with our mouths agape. Wow, no pressure or anything.

Peter turns to me with a worried expression while Mr. Harrington speaks to the rest of the group. I return the worried glance. Not only do we have a world-threatening creature to worry about, but we also have to worry about keeping our peers away from the danger. "This is causing me stress..." I slowly speak. "I need to call Dr. Raynor."

•~•~•~•

Peter and I are in Fury's base of operations. I can't stop thinking about the potential danger my peers are in. What if something happens to MJ or Ned? To Ezra? Or even Flash? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if someone else got hurt because of me. "Sinclair! Parker!" I'm ripped out of my thoughts by a strong voice, making me spin around in shock. I notice Peter do the same beside me. He must've been lost in thought too.

"Yes, sir," Peter responds.

Fury just looks at us with his usual stone-cold face. "That thing is going to be here in a few hours. Are we boring you two?" he accusingly questions. We just stand there like children being scolded by their mothers.

"They're not bored," someone else pipes up. My head snaps to Beck. "They're just thinking about how you kidnapped them." I raise my eyebrows, shocked and flattered that he's standing up for us.

"They had obstacles. I removed them," Fury argues. I refrain from rolling my eyes. Our friends are in danger of ending up in the crossfire, so he didn't do a good job of removing obstacles.

"They still won't evacuate the city," Maria informs him. Oh, great, that's so much worse. Is Dr. Raynor available right now?

Fury frustratedly sighs. "Idiots," he mumbles, shaking his head. "So what's the plan, Sinclair and Parker?" he addresses us.

We share a look, coming to a nonverbal agreement on who should speak first. "We will be in the Cathedral tower keeping watch for the fire monster," I voice.

"When that shows up, we will radio you guys... and then we and Mr. Beck-" Peter continues, gesturing to Beck.

Beck interrupts him with, "my name is Mysterio." He gives us a goofy look, making Peter chuckle. I just grin, finding it amusing that he likes the name our classmates made up for him.

"That's when Mysterio, y/n, and I will move in," Peter finishes.

"Peter, y/n, listen to me. The best hope you have, the only hope, is to stop it here now, no matter what the costs," Beck states. Peter slowly walks toward him as he listens. "Maneuver it away from civilians if you can, but most important, keep it away from metal. If it gets too big, it'll be able to draw power from the Earth's core. After that, there's no way to stop it," he seriously conveys.

Welp... my stress level is in space now. "Well, I fought a giant fleshy spider and its army so this should be easy," I sarcastically remark with a false smile. I don't know if this thing's worse than the Mind Flayer or not. At least this one doesn't have a hive intelligence... Oh, yeah, this should be easier. I walk over to Peter. Even though I can only see his back, I can tell he's extremely worried. I can't blame him, so am I.