♡James - Love of My Life♡

Imagine... James is still alive, it's currently mid 1920s, and he has a big surprise for you.

Tense: Past
Pov- yours

I still remember that day perfectly. The way the streets were filled with people, the sun beating down from above, but the light breeze through the wind. I remember exactly what I was wearing and exactly what he was wearing as well. I remember how he smelled. His thick scent of cologne. I remember his smile the way he beamed with joy when he saw my face.

Nobody ever really thought James Patrick March could have emotions. I remember people would be on the streets with him walking with me and they'd whisper something stupid about us. 'Poor girl,' or 'I hope she's okay.' They acted as if I was forced into this relationship, as if James hadn't loved me, but I knew that was a lie and I still know that to this day.

No, I was positive James truly loved me, and this moment, the one I remember perfectly, is the reason I was absolutely sure it was true. It was a warm afternoon in early September and I had been on my way to the grand opening of James pride and joy, the Hotel Cortez. I had gone and picked out a nice dress for the occasion, I was so extremely excited for multiple reasons. One, James had wanted this hotel for so long. Two, parties are always fun. And three, this would be the moment I'd get to see my new home.

James had built this hotel with an extra room up top for him and I to move into. We had been living in a very nice house ahead of time, but something seemed so magical about living in a hotel room. Being able to explore the hotel, becoming best friends with the staff. I thought of it as if we were on vacation forever.

I marched down the sidewalk past all the lovely people performing on the sidewalk or trying to get to other places. I had never been in such a wonderful mood. I kept repeating the address of the hotel in my head over and over again. Then, suddenly, there it was ahead of me. A bright, glowing sign that read 'Hotel Cortez' stood above me.

I stood at the entrance staring at it in awe. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I ran past the sign and through the front doors. Inside, people were setting up the party. My eyes flung around the lobby, scanning every inch of it. It was wonderful. The patterns and designs, the chairs and seats, the feeling of joy it brought.

As I scanned through the room and crowd of people though, I didn't see James. I had thought for sure he would be down there waiting for me to see my reaction of his creation. I decided to walk up to one of the people setting up the party to ask where he was.

"Excuse me? Ma'am?" I said, approaching a woman and tapping her lightly on the shoulder. She turned towards me. As soon as she saw my face her eyes widened.

"Oh, dear! Ms. (L/N)!" The woman exclaimed. I recognized her once I got a good glimpse of her face.

"Oh!? Hazel? Hazel Evers?" I smiled at her.

"Yes! Yes!" She smiled back. "I can't believe you remember me!"

"I remember all of the staff, Ma'am! It's only the kind thing to do since you ever so kindly help out Mr. March and I." I explained as Ms. Evers nodded. "So where is-" Ms. Evers quickly cut me off.

"He's up on the top floor! Then once you're there, take a right and find room 64!" Ms. Evers grinned at me and I quickly thanked her. "Don't be too long, the party will start soon! You tell Mr. March that, my dear!"

"Yes, of course Ma'am." I nodded and waved to her as I ran off over to the elevator. I hopped inside and began going up, wondering why James had been so far up. My mind rushed with thoughts and ideas as I made my way to the top floor.

The elevator doors slowly creaked open as I entered the empty hallway. I made my way through the hall and took a right just as Ms. Evers had said. A smile grew upon my face as I looked at each door trying to find room 64.

I turned my head to the left, and there it was. Room 64. On the ground, in front of the door, was a tiny room key. I picked up and saw a '64' engraved into the key. I looked at it for another moment before putting my attention on the doorknob. I then pushed the key into the keyhole that was on the doorknob and turned it. I heard a little click and them popped the key out of the door. I turned the doorknob slowly and watched as I pushed the door open.

I took a step into the room and shut the door behind me. This room was giant. I had been standing in a tiny hallway with a coat and shoe rack, on the right there was a kitchen and ahead of me was a dining room table. I couldn't see what was to the left of me, so I began taking a few steps forward.

"James?" I muttered as I took another step forward. I walked past the hallways and turned my head to the left, revealing a bed and in front of it was James. He had a bottle of champagne in his hands and rose petals on the ground. "What is this?" I chuckled.

"You look ravishing! Sit down on the bed, my darling." He smiled at me and lightly took my hand. He places me down onto the bed and faced me. "Do you like our new home?"

"Yes, it's wonderful! Is this our room?" I asked. He nodded.

"There's a walk in closet for you as well, might I add, and I'm going to see whatever else you want that I can add." He explained to me. I gazed into his eyes and smiled.

"James, it's perfect!" I exclaimed.

"I can make it better." He grinned. He took a deep breath and then began to speak once more. "Ever since I have met you, you have been the most lovely woman. Perfect in every way! I knew I wanted you to be mine the moment we met. Not only are you the most beautiful woman I have ever met, but you are the most talented, kind, caring, compassionate, and wonderful woman I have had the pleasure of getting to know. You amaze me, and if I'm being honest, frankly, I believe you're the love of my life."

"James-" I blushed, feeling embarrassed but also extremely happy.

"You mean everything to me and now that we're starting this new life of ours, I'd like to do something else." James approached me and pulled something out of his back pocket. He suddenly got down on one knee. A million thoughts ran through my head. Was this real? Was it really happening? Did he love me that much? "(Y/N), my dearest, will you marry me."

I was speechless, in fact, I didn't think I could speak. I began nodding profusely as a few tears filled up into my eyes.

"Of course." I finally spit out. James lifted me up off of the bed and pulled me onto my feet. He took the ring out of its box and placed it onto my finger. He hugged me tightly and placed a kiss on my cheek. "Could this night get any better?" I smiled.

"We still have a party to attend to, but first, we have our celebratory champagne." James grinned.

And so we did, and like that, I knew he had feelings, I knew he wasn't just work, money, and evil. He wasn't emotionless. That night was by far my favorite night ever, and to this day, I'm glad to be with him. I'm happy to be living out eternity with him in our home.