Chapter 76: You're a Good Person

Start from the beginning

His smile falters when he notices the way Maria and Fury are staring at him. Mine does too, I don't understand why they look so judgmental. "S-sorry," Peter chuckles, embarrassed. "It's really cool," he speaks more quietly. He turns to me and lets his smile drop, turning into an abashed expression.

I lean closer to him and whisper, "I thought it was cute."

The joyful smile returns to his face and he lightly chuckles before we both turn our attention to Beck across from us. "Don't ever apologize for being the smartest one in the room," he tells Peter. I glance at him and see a smile take over his features again. My heart melts at the sight, I can tell Beck's words made him feel better.

Fury scoffs while Maria shakes her head. "Anyway..." she trails off. A hologram projects from the table in front of us so we take a step back.

"They were born in stable orbits within black holes. Creatures formed from the primary elements: air, water, fire, earth," Beck conveys as images of said creatures are showcased. "The Science Divison had a technical name. We just called them Elementals."

"Versions of them exist across our mythologies," Maria adds.

"Turns out those myths are real," Beck claims.

"Like Thor," I jump in.

"Thor was a myth and now I study him in my physics class," Peter pipes up.

Fury walks over and claims, "these myths are threats." Beck proceeds to explain how they first mobilized on his Earth years ago and how they tried to fight them, but the Elementals only grew and became stronger, eventually leading to his world's demise. Maria informs us that the Elementals are attacking the same coordinates here now.

"Thank Mr. Beck for destroying the other three. There's only one left: fire," Fury jumps in.

Beck shamefully looks down. "The strongest of them all. The one that destroyed my Earth... It's the one that took my family," he glumly speaks. I notice him fiddling with a wedding band on his finger. My heart breaks for him, the pain of losing your family is one of the worst types of pain there is.

"I'm sorry," Peter whispers, also feeling bad for him.

"And it will be in Prague in approximately 48 hours," Maria announces.

"We have one mission: kill it. And you two are coming with us," Fury declares. Peter and I gawk at him, flabbergasted. We exchange a look and I know we're thinking the same thing.

"I'm sorry, did you say Prague?" I chuckle in disbelief, sticking my hand up. Maria nods in affirmation.

"Mr. Fury, this all seems like bigtime, you know, huge superhero kind of stuff. And... I mean, I'm just a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, sir," Peter pipes up.

I nod in agreement and chime in, "and I'm not the right person for this job. As he said, this is superhero stuff and... I'm no hero."

"Bitch, please. You've been to space," Fury exclaims at Peter.

"I know but that was an accident!" Peter claims.

Fury just shakes his head before focusing on me. "And you. You're one of the most powerful people on this planet, you almost took down Thanos."

"I guess but-" I begin to say before he interjects.

"Look, I know your history. This wouldn't be your first rodeo with interdimensional beings," he states. My jaw slightly drops. How does he know about that? "I also heard about that incident in New Jersey a few months back," he adds, giving me a serious look. I swallow the forming lump in my throat and look down in shame.