A week at Myrtle Beach

Patrick

I sat on the beach with my arms wrapped around my legs as everyone was having fun. Someone tapped my arm. I glanced at Rowan sitting next to me.

"I have my hearing aids turned on."

"I wasn't sure because Leokadia mentioned that you turned them off."

"It drives my family nuts, but sometimes, silence is golden."

Rowan giggled as I chuckled. "So, why aren't you joining in the fun?"

"I'm not a fan of the water because I have to wear earplugs. It's bad enough that I have to wear them when I shower."

"You dislike your deafness, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because most people won't help you and makes your disability obvious. Camille would comment about my deafness. I hated it."

"Well, Camille is a bitch."

I glanced at Rowan, who smirked. We sat on the beach and talked. I found myself liking Rowan even more but wondered how this would affect my situation with Bubbles.

*******
Romeo

Casper tossed a football to me, and I dove for it, landed in front of someone, and knocked sand onto them.

"Excuse you?"

I pushed myself up to see Sage giving me an annoyed look. "Sorry." I got to my knees and sat back on my legs.

"Do you always make it a habit of not looking where you're going?"

"I was playing catch with my cousin. It's not like I did it on purpose."

"Says you."

"Are you always this bitchy, or is it your sparkling personality?"

"At least I don't act like I'm God's gift to women."

"It's not my fault that God blessed me."

Sage laughed. "Good one."

I narrowed my eyes and started arguing with Sage.

*******
Raphael

I strolled along the shoreline as someone ran towards me and crashed into me. We landed on the sand.

"Sorry."

I glanced at Reese on top of me.

She got off of me and helped me up. "I get in the zone when I run."

"Okay."

"Why are you walking alone?"

"Because I needed space."

"Do you want company?"

I glanced at Reese.

"Relax. You stay in your bubble, and I'll stay in my space." Reese rolled her eyes.

I shook my head as we walked.

"Harper, you need to learn that not everyone will hurt you."

"I didn't think you were an expert."

"No, but even I understand the difference between people who care and the ones who don't. Just because someone hangs around you doesn't make them your friend."

"Most people have ulterior motives."

"Because people have a hidden agenda. It's what you can do for them. No one has time for that bullshit."