Past issues

Valentine

Our early arrival from homecoming surprised our parents, especially when we walked through the door.

"Why are you home so early?" Dad asked us.

"We had an issue at the dance," I said.

"What issue?"

I sat down in a chair across from the couch where my parents were sitting. "Sasha and Blair humiliate Leokadia, and Camille showed up."

Ma and Dad looked at Leokadia and my brothers.

"Boys, take Leokadia upstairs," Dad said.

My brothers nodded. They went upstairs with Leokadia.

"What is the point with humiliating someone?" Ma asked.

"Because some people didn't get the memo that it makes them look like assholes," Dad said.

"What happened?" Ma asked me.

"Sasha and Blair posted Leokadia's mugshot, claiming she's a liar and thief. Then they were going to dump red paint on her."

"That's horrible."

"Oh, it gets better."

"How much better?" Dad asked me.

"Camille showed up and degraded Pat and Rafe while claiming Romeo destroyed Sloane."

My parents knitted their brows.

I sat forward. "But that's not the truth."

"So, what is the truth?" Dad asked.

"Sloane became obsessed with Romeo. He ended things because she was stalking him."

Ma and Dad glanced at each other.

"Okay, let your mother and I handle the situation with Romeo. Check on Leokadia."

I nodded and headed upstairs. First, I needed to change out of my monkey suit before I checked on Leokadia.

*******
Leokadia

I finished changing out of my dress and into comfy clothes. Val knocked on my door as I draped my dress over the back of a chair.

"How are you doing?"

"Well, people think I'm a thief and a liar." I walked over to the bed and sat down.

Val sat down next to me. "Yeah, but you aren't."

"It doesn't matter. People will believe a picture over the truth."

"Did the police arrest you for theft?"

"No."

"Then what was with the mugshot?"

"Do you want to know?"

"It would be nice to know the truth."

I took a deep breath. "The police found me sleeping in a furniture store."

"Say what?"

"After the confrontation with my foster dad, I took off. I got tired and needed a place to sleep. So, I broke into a furniture store and fell asleep."

Val laughed.

I gave him a playful shove. "It's not funny. I was tired."

"That's hilarious." Val chuckled.

I rolled my eyes.

"It's better than what the police have busted my and me for doing."

"Do I want to know?"