Spring break with the Harper brothers

Kadia

Spring break arrived, and we had to pack for Myrtle Beach. I won't lie. The idea of seeing the ocean excited me. I packed one bag, which had everything I needed.

Val came into my bedroom. "Where are your bags?"

"Right here." I pointed at my single bag.

"No, really. Where are your bags?"

"This is it."

Val arched his brow at me.

"What?"

Val turned to me. "Most girls pack several bags."

"I'm not most girls. Everything I need is in that suitcase. Who takes more than one bag on a trip?"

"You are not taking all those bags!" Elias said.

"But I need them!" Romeo said.

Val and I glanced at each other.

"No, you don't! Space limits us! Now, dwindle your bags to one!"

Val and I rushed to the doorway and stopped. Elias and Romeo argued about Romeo's five bags as the other brothers watched.

"I need everything that I packed."

Elias rubbed his forehead and lowered his hand. "Son, let me explain a few things to you. Guys don't need five bags since we wear jeans, a tee-shirt, drawers, and socks. You buy three-in-one shampoo, so it eliminates bar soap. A brush is optional. Now, drag your ass back to your room and pack one bag, or you can stay with your grandparents. Your choice."

Romeo huffed and dragged his many bags back to his bedroom.

Elias glanced at Pat. "No computer."

"Why not?"

"Because you don't need one."

"What about classes?"

"I know damn well that you don't have classes. Put it back." Elias pointed at Pat's bedroom.

Pat shook his head and took his laptop back to his bedroom. Elias gave Rafe and Marty a look. They hurried downstairs as Elias followed them.

"You have strange brothers," I told Val.

"Wait until the car ride."

I stared at Val, who gave me a knowing look.

*******
After loading our bags in three vehicles, my friends arrived and loaded their bags. I rode with Val, Pat, and Romeo to Myrtle Beach. But we stopped at a gas station before making any progress on our trip. I waited in the car as the adults, the boys, and my friends entered the gas station, then returned with bags of pop and food. What in the world?

The guys got into the car with plastic bags, and Val handed me a pop.

"What's with the junk food and pop?" I asked Val.

"It's a tradition to stop before any road trip and grab beverages and snacks for the car ride."

"What about actual food?"

"Oh, we stop to eat, but this carries us until we do."

Val started the car, backed out of the parking space, and drove towards the entrance ramp to the freeway. Why would this car ride be a long one?

******
Elias

I took the lead as the others followed us to Myrtle Beach. Tori sat in the front with me as Rafe and Marty sat in the backseat.