Investigation

Leokadia

After Kayden's visit, I couldn't help but worry about the outcome. I didn't want to go to another foster home. Val tried to reassure me. How do you comfort someone when the state shuffles the person through several foster homes?

The brothers tried to keep my mind off of Kayden's visit. It wasn't working. I was losing hope with each day. If Kayden does remove me from Tori and Elias's home, I pray the next family would treat me well.

Val checked on me as I packed my bags. "What are you doing?"

"Packing." I shrugged.

"Why?"

"Because it's easier than waiting for Kayden to show up and take me away."

Val walked over to me and turned me to face him. "You're not going anywhere."

"You don't know that. Do you know how many times someone told me that? Several."

"But you didn't belong with those people. You belong with us."

"I'm not foolish enough to believe that Kayden won't remove me."

"Kadia."

"Val, please don't make this harder than it is."

Val knitted his brows and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him back. 

******
Tori

Elias and I sat at the kitchen table with Dad.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I can file paperwork for legal guardianship, along with an injunction to stop Kayden," Dad said.

"Kayden said he would investigate and try to help us," Elias said.

"That's fine, but legal guardianship helps you keep Leokadia. Since her mother forfeited her to the state, it works in your favor. What about her father?"

"Kayden said her father wasn't in the picture. We have no idea if he's alive or not," I said.

"Custody cases are presented in family court. A judge will whether a person is fit to care for a child. Leokadia is a ward of the state. Her welfare comes first."

"We understand, but we want to keep her."

Dad smiled at me. "You're like your mother."

"Well, Mom is brilliant." I grinned.

Dad chuckled. "I'll file the paperwork and let you know what the judge says."

We nodded. Dad got up and left. I looked at Elias.

"Your dad will help us."

"Is it wrong that we're taking legal action?"

"No, because that kid needs someone to look out for her."

I placed my chin in my palm. I pray Dad and Kayden helped Leokadia and us, or have angry sons, especially Val.

*******
Morgan