The bakery

Leokadia

I got acclimated at school and learned my way around it. I spent more time in the library on their computer searching for my mom. I typed in the name Halinka Kowalski hoping I would find something. Each search produced zero results.

I blew air past my lips. Then I typed in my full name as a newspaper article popped up.

A 6-year-old girl was abandoned at a local store.

Local officials are searching for answers to a child sitting alone on a store bench in front of the store. Employees claim a woman entered with the child and left without the child. Police have the child in custody. If anyone has any tips, please get in touch with your local police department.

My brows furrowed. My mom didn't lose me. She abandoned me. Why?

Flashback

I held my mommy's hand and skipped as we entered the store. She led me to dresses, then crouched in front of me.

"We'll buy you a new pretty dress for your father."

I smiled.

"Now you okay while mommy finds you a dress."

I nodded and played in the racks. I played hide and seek with mommy. Then the clothes moved as a boy looked at me.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm playing hide and seek with Mommy. She said I'm a good hider."

"You shouldn't play in the store."

"Why?"

"Because my ma says we don't play in the store."

"Mommy doesn't mind." I shrugged.

The boy climbed into the rack with me.

"What are you doing?"

"Keeping you company."

"Oh."

The boy talked to me, then left when his mommy called him. I crawled out of the racks and looked around for my mommy. I walked through the store searching for Mommy and walked out of the store. I climbed onto a bench and swung my legs back and forth.

"When you wish upon a star
It makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you," I sang.

A car pulled up and stopped. I lifted my head and squinted my eyes as a man knelt in front of me.

"Hey, sweetheart."

"Hi."

"What are you doing out here?"

"I'm waiting for my mommy."

"Why don't you come with me, and I'll help you find your mommy?"

"Mommy said not to go with strangers."

"I'm not a stranger. See my badge?"

I nodded.

"I'm a police officer. I'll help you."

The man stood up and held out his hand. I took it as he helped me into his backseat and buckled me. Then we left to find Mommy.

End of flashback

My brows furrowed. I clicked out of the link, shut down the computer, and shoved my stuff into my bag. I checked around, snuck out of the school, and walked. Why would my mom leave me in a store? Who was the little boy and cop? What did I do wrong? Why did my mom abandon me?  She told me to play. Why did she leave?