Protection

Morgan

Oliver and I launched an investigation into Officers Crandall and Kowalski. My captain kept it quiet until we had enough evidence to arrest them. I called Oliver and Elias to inform them of what was happening. Bianka agreed to keep her distance from Casper until we resolved the situation.

Oliver and I dug into Crandall and Kowalski's history and interviewed different people. No one was forthcoming with information regarding them, leaving me frustrated. That's when I visited someone who could provide help.

I knocked on the front door of a house. It opened, revealing Grandpa Marshall. "Marshall?"

"I need some advice."

Grandpa nodded and stepped aside. I entered, walked to the living room, and removed my coat. We sat down.

"What's up?" Grandpa asked me.

"Remember when I told you about the situation about those girls attacked that one girl?"

"Yes. You said that you arrested the four girls."

"The girl is Elias Harper's foster child."

"Okay."

"It turns out she's a blood cousin to Oliver Harper's son, Casper. Her mother and Casper's mother are sisters."

"It happens. With DNA, it's easier to locate people."

"Well, a woman has been stalking Casper and turned out to be his biological mother."

"Did you confirm the DNA results?"

"Yes. I gathered a sample from the woman and Casper."

"It seems clear cut. So, what's the issue?"

"I discovered the reason for the mothers abandoning the children. They have abusive husbands who threatened to harm the children."

"Morgan, CPS will remove children from an abusive home after you call the police."

"That's the problem. Their husbands are the cops."

Grandpa knitted his brows.

"I'm investigating the dirty cops with Oliver Gray, but everyone is stonewalling us, claiming the cops as heroes."

"I see."

"I don't want to tell Bianka that it ties our hands."

"Who's Bianka?"

"Casper's mother."

"Morgan, are you investigating dirty cops to help reunite a mother and her child, or are there other reasons?"

I looked at my grandpa.

"I can't tell you what you should do. But if it were me, I would handle the dirty cops off the books."

My brows lifted. "Did you ever deal with dirty cops?"

"On the record, no. Off the record, a few understood the difference between good and bad cops." Grandpa gave me a look.

I didn't press him for more information because it would matter. He wouldn't tell me, and I'm good with that.

It's my job to reunite families and protect innocent people. I didn't want Bianka to lose hope since it's all she had. But sometimes, we need a Christmas miracle from someone who gives a shit.

*******
I sat at my desk, staring at my computer screen, when Oliver came walking towards me. I glanced at him.

He sat down at my desk. "Guess who found Crandall and Kowalski dead in their car?"