Romeo

Leokadia

We returned without clothes when Val's parents asked why Val explained it.

Someone yanked me out of the kitchen. "Ack!"

"Shh!" Romeo put his finger to his lips.

"You didn't need to yank my arm out of its socket."  I rubbed my arm.

Yelling came from the kitchen.

"What do you mean you punched out someone at the store? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Follow me." Romeo waved me to follow him.

So, I did. We climbed the stairs and headed down the hallway. Romeo shoved me into a room with his brothers. He closed the door.

"Where's Val and Pat?" Rafe asked.

"Dad's yelling at them," Romeo said.

"Why?"

"Val punched out a clerk at the store."

"The clerk must have given Pat a hard time."

"I'm confused. Why would Val beat someone up because of Pat?"

The brothers looked at me.

"Val doesn't tolerate people mistreating Pat because of his deafness," Marty said.

"Why doesn't Pat defend himself?"

"Because Pat's insecure about his deafness. The last time he got into a fight with someone, they hit his ear. It shattered his hearing aid and caused him issues. He needed surgery," Romeo said.

"Wow."

A scream erupted from downstairs. The brothers rushed out of the room. I chased after them. We ran. The brothers stopped, and I smacked into them, causing us to tumble to the floor.

Tori and Elias stared at us as Pat gripped his ears. Val marched over to us and lifted me off of his brothers. Then he helped the others up.

Pat grabbed his hearing aids and whipped them across the room, then laid his head down and cried.

"Shh, it's okay." Elias rubbed his back.

Tori ushered us out of the kitchen.

"Is Pat okay?" Romeo asked.

"His hearing aids malfunctioned, which means he needs new ones," Tori said.

I shifted in my spot.

Tori stepped towards me. "We handle Pat's issues because of Elias. He'll be okay."

"I've been here less than twenty-four hours and getting a little overwhelmed."

Tori gave me a concerned look.

"We'll help you," Romeo said.

I arched my brow.

"Oh, hell no," Val said.

"What?" Romeo asked.

"You're not helping Leokadia. I know your help."

Romeo gave Val an annoyed look.

"I have five on Val," Rafe told Marty.

"I got ten."

"We got a hot girl in the house who isn't Ma," Romeo told Val.

"For the love of God, stop hitting on girls in this house," Tori told Romeo.

My eyes expanded. What is wrong with this family?

Someone grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room as Tori yelled at Romeo. Why must everyone treat me like a rag doll?