Raphael

Leokadia

I set the bags on the bed and pulled out the clothes. Someone knocked on the door. I shoved the clothes back into the bags and turned to face Tori. Tori walked into the room and glanced at the bags.

"You can unpack and put away your clothes."

"I will."

Tori nodded. We stood in awkward silence.

"Val told me that Patrick mentioned the newspaper article that I'm writing."

"Yeah."

"I'm not writing it because we had Kayden bring you to us. I've been searching for a topic that will help people understand. I write special interest pieces about people."

"Oh."

Tori sat down on the bed and patted a spot next to her. I joined her.

"We have a cousin that fostered kids and adopted them. When Kayden approached us, we weren't aware he was bringing us a child. But it doesn't matter."

"Why not?"

"Because no child should be without a home." Tori gave me a soft smile.

I didn't know how to respond to that. So I resorted to my survival instincts. "It's only a matter of time before you return me."

Tori knitted her brows. I got up and left the room. The clothes, home decor, and everything was bullshit. Be nice to the foster kid, then give them back. I came down the back steps and left through the sliding door. Someone tied a swing to a tree branch. I sat down and moved back and forth using my feet.

I still had to contemplate my great escape and find my mom. It would take finesse.

******
Raphael

I came out of the house to find Leokadia on the tree swing. I strolled over to her. "Why are you out here?"

"Why not?"

"Didn't Ma talk to you?"

"Yeah, and I told her she would return me."

"Oh, you're that person."

"What person?"

"The person with a chip on their shoulder. Oh, poor me. I got dumped in foster care. No one wants me. Big deal. My parents question why they have us all the time."

Leokadia stood up. "Your life differs from mine. You can't compare the two."

"Oh? Do you think you're the only one with issues? Newsflash, sweetheart. We all have issues. Take Romeo, for example. He does a girl dirty, she wants to rip his head off, and he can't figure out why."

"Why?"

"Because Romeo is an idiot."

Leokadia squinted her eyes at me.

"Let me break it down for you, so you survive in our house. Valentine hates his name and tells you like it is. He doesn't like games or lying. Patrick hates his deafness. People are pricks and point out the obvious with him. There's no need to remind someone of their disability. They live with it. Romeo can't walk down the street without some girl noticing. They think he's hot, but he's ugly. Then you have Marty, who starts shit but comes off as a sweet, innocent angel. He isn't an angel."

"What about you?"

"I don't have a filter." I shrugged.