Martin

Leokadia

After that day, it took me a few days to settle in. I kept my distance from Val. I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Patrick taught me some sign language. Romeo flirted with me. Rafe kept Romeo at bay.

Then, there was Marty. He seemed sweet and innocent until he pulled a prank on his brothers and blamed it on another brother. His brothers found out.

I came out of the bedroom and saw Romeo and Rafe hanging Marty over the railing by his ankles.

"It was a joke!" Marty said.

"We should drop you on your head since you find shit hilarious," Rafe said.

Romeo noticed me standing there. "Oh, hey, Leokadia."

"What are you doing?" I pointed at Marty hanging upside down.

"We're teaching the weasel a little lesson. It's not nice to prank his brothers," Rafe said.

Val walked over, flicked Romeo and Rafe, and caught Marty. He pulled Marty up.

"Christ, Val." Romeo rubbed his ear.

"Knock it off," Val said.

"Tell dipshit to quit instigating shit," Rafe said.

Val grabbed Marty's shirt and yanked Marty to him until their faces were mere inches apart. "Next time, I'll let them drop you."

My eyes widened. Romeo tapped Val. Val looked at Romeo. Romeo pointed at me. Val released Marty and stepped towards me. "Problem?"

"Uh, no." I pivoted on my heels and walked away. Yeah, life at the Harper house was peachy.

********
Marty

"What was that?" Romeo asked Val.

"What?"

"You put the fear of God in the girl," Rafe said.

"She shouldn't involve herself in a brother issue."

"Wait. I'm confused. You were nice to the girl, and now you can't stand her. What gives?" Romeo asked.

"Ask Leokadia since she avoids me." Val walked away.

"What the hell is this bullshit?" Rafe asked.

"I thought Val liked Leokadia," I mentioned.

"He does," Romeo said.

"Then why are you flirting with her?"

"Yeah, good question." Rafe crossed his arms and tilted his head.

"I flirt with everyone," Romeo said.

"That's true. But Val hates games," I said.

Patrick came out of his bedroom and stopped. "What are you plotting?"

"We're trying to figure out Val," Romeo said.

Rafe put his fist to his mouth. Cough, cough. "Bullshit."

Pat arched his brow.

Romeo rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine. We know that Val and Leokadia like each other. But we don't know what happened since Leokadia arrived. It's like they can't stand each other."

"Because Val's flavor of the week showed up," I interjected.

My brothers looked at me. My brothers gave me a knowing look.

"That explains so much," Rafe said.

"Then explain it to Leokadia that Val doesn't have a girlfriend," Pat said.