Brothers

Valentine

A few days later, Ma and Dad brought Rafe home from the hospital. They came into the house as we stood there. Rafe looked at us, and we walked towards him and hugged him. He broke down and cried. Blair Percy did everything she could to break my brother and succeeded. I hated her for it.

My brothers released Rafe, but I didn't. Rafe gripped the back of my shirt as I held him.

"Shh," I said, comforting Rafe.

Rafe lifted his head as I looked at him. "Val...."

"I know, little brother."

Rafe buried his head into me. I glanced at my family, then helped Rafe upstairs as our folks followed us. After getting Rafe situated, Ma and Dad left us alone. Rafe sat on the edge of the bed as I leaned against his dresser. "Wasn't it bad enough that Blair humiliated me? Now, she wants me dead. I don't understand." Rafe looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Blair is a spiteful bitch, along with her sisters. They would rather ruin people than love them." I walked over to the bed and sat down next to Rafe.

Rafe looked at me with his black eyes. "What did I do wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why wasn't I good enough?"

"Who says that you aren't?"

"Blair."

"Blair is wrong and played you."

"It doesn't matter. I won't let anyone get close to me again."

"You will know when it's the right person."

Rafe glanced at me.

"Raphael, I wanted a decent birthday, but the shit hit the fan. Then all I wanted was for you to wake up." I sighed.

"What?"

"I don't want to lose you." My eyes shifted to Rafe.

Rafe stared at me.

"If I lost you or the other dipshits, it would kill me. You're my brothers."

Rafe laid his head on my shoulder. "It's the same way with us. You're our big brother, and I'm sorry for ruining your birthday."

I chuckled.

Rafe lifted his head and looked at me. "I didn't even get cake."

Romeo knocked on Rafe's door. We turned our heads to see him holding a plate with a piece of cake on it. He walked over to Rafe and handed him the plate. "Ma said to save you a piece."

Rafe took the plate and started eating the cake.

"Rafe....I'm sorry."

Rafe looked at Romeo while he ate his cake.

"It's because of me that you landed in the hospital. It's because of that everyone suffers." Romeo averted his eyes.

"Why?"

"Because I created this mess. Val was right. I should have been upfront with Sloane."

"You were."

Romeo and I looked at Rafe as he ate his cake.

"What?" I asked.

"Romeo told Sloane that he wasn't looking for anything serious since he wasn't ready to settle down. Sloane was planning their future."

"What about Romeo's part in it?"

"Oh, that's true. But Sloane is crazy. When I dated Blair, Blair told me things about her sisters."