Circus of Longing (T)

Start from the beginning

An independent clause is the part of a sentence that stands alone. Independent clauses contain a subject and verb.

A dependent clause is the part of a sentence that relies on the independent clause to make sense. Dependent clauses are often missing a subject or verb that is in the independent clause.

An essential clause is an added clause that must be included in the sentence or else the meaning changes. They are always dependent.

A nonessential clause is an added clause that can be included, but it does not change the meaning of the sentence. They are always dependent.

Here are the simplified rules that I've put together over the last few years. I know they're scary, and I know they probably have a lot of terms that you might not have down yet. But tackle one rule at a time, screenshot the rest, and come back to them when you're ready to tackle the next.

The next two rules are easier, and you can probably implement and understand them now:

RULE 1: When a dependent clause comes before an independent clause, a comma is used between the two clauses.

Example: With a lot of difficulties, I completed the hike.

Explanation: 'I completed the hike' is an independent sentence--it makes sense on its own. But 'with a lot of difficulties' doesn't really make sense on its own--it needs help from the independent clause to clarify what we are doing that we had difficulty with. We use a comma in this instance.

RULE 2. When an independent clause comes before a dependent clause, NO comma is used.

Example: I completed the hike with a lot of difficulties.

Explanation: Again, these are the same clauses from before. When an independent clause comes before a dependent clause, there is no need to put a comma. 

The last two rules are a little more confusing, and you might benefit from focusing on the first two until you're ready for these:

RULE 3. When a dependent clause that is essential is placed in the middle of an independent clause, NO comma is used.

Example: My sibling Ena is my best friend.

Explanation: Here, the essential clause is the name of my sister, Ena. The independent clause is: My sibling is my best friend. So clarifying that my sibling's name is Ena is essential because if I didn't place it in there, you might think I'm talking about my brother, which would change the meaning of the sentence. So I don't use a comma.

RULE 4. When a dependent clause that is nonessential is placed in the middle of an independent clause, commas are used on either side.

Example: My mother, Mary, is a teacher.

Explanation: So here, the nonessential clause is my mother's name, Mary. It is nonessential because I only have one mother, and taking out the clarification of her name would not change the meaning of the sentence. So commas are placed on either side.

I know it's a lot. It was once way too much for me, too. But once you get good at commas, you'll burn these rules into your mind and do them automatically. You'll never have to think of them again.

ii. DIALOGUE

A dialogue tag is anything that describes the way something is said (ex. he screamed, she whispered, I asked).

An action tag is anything that implies who is speaking by using an action (ex. he grinned, she raised an eyebrow, I blinked).

Some verbs can be used as both, such as 'he groaned.' If you want to say he said something in a groan, it's a dialogue tag. If you want to say he said something and then he groaned, it's an action tag.