Chapter 7 - Planning Love

Start from the beginning

"You look amazing, Preet."

"You too!"

When the guys saw us, they stared and then frowned.

"Are you two going clubbing? You can't trust the American guys," Jai said. His dark brown eyes scanned every inch of exposed skin. He was always our overprotective brother.

"Make sure you call if you need anything," said Bhim. With our heels, we towered over him.

We told the guys we were just attending a birthday party. They were disappointed not receiving an invitation.

They chose to get over it by heading off the nearest bar.

Piya and I made a run for it when we could.

____________________

Sam's party had a mixture of Americans along with Indians. None of the Indians wore anything close to what their cultural outfits were.

Thank god, the lady at the dress shop helped us pick outfits that fit right in.

"Happy birthday!" Piya said a little loudly. I found Sam with Rahul, talking about something. Great manners, Piya. Way to go. Sam looked up at us, first confused, and then smiled widely when he recognized the faces.

"Thank you!" Sam said. "Glad you two could make it!" He stood tall wearing a black pant suit with a sky blue button down underneath. He looked really handsome especially with the added gelled hair.

Next to him was Rahul Khurana in a black suit but with a white button down and black tie. He looked even better than Sam.

I wished him a happy birthday as well before handing him our gifts we thought he'd find appropriate. He thanked us and before he could open them, someone else took his attention.

He told us to enjoy the party while he took care of other guests. Rahul followed along with his friend but I did exchange eye contact with him.

"This is your chance," Piya whispered to me. "Talk to him and dance with him once the music starts."

"You're crazy," I told her. "Do you want me to die of embarrassment at such a young age."

"Don't be so dramatic," she said unnerved.

"Piya, I don't know how to approach a guy," I told her truthfully.

"It's easy," she said. "Just go up to him and ask him something like when is the appropriate time to leave the party. You can also ask him when you can go to his office to find your file."

"I'm not asking him about the file! That's irrelevant."

"You just need something to start the conversation with," she insisted. "Geez Preet, you're never gonna find a guy if you hide behind me."

I hadn't realized I had backed up behind her. It was instinctively done.

She glared at me until I moved.

"I'm leaving you," she said. "You're on your own while I go make new friends."

"Hey!"

She waved and headed in Sam's direction. I had no choice but to search for Rahul who was chatting with a group of old men.

No way was I diving in that group.

I scooted closer to the food section and helped myself to a glass of water. I was so invested in watching Rahul and Piya that when I turned to put my glass down, I elbowed somebody.

"I'm so sorry," I said quickly. "I didn't see you."

The jet black haired Indian guy stared at me in disbelief. "You didn't see me? Do you understand how much effort was put into this?"