Chapter 42

Annabeth's POV

None of us uttered a word. For around ten minutes, we sat on the cold floor, starving, for some of us didn't have lunch, and used to have dinner soon. And Callie, on the other hand, looked excited.

'What's exciting you?' I ask

Callie looks at me.

'Oh,' she grins with a gleam in her eye. 'You'll see,'
'Come on, tell it!' Percy urges her on.

Callie shook her head (probably at how idiotic we seemed) but fished out the keys from her bag.

Percy's POV

'How?' I ask.
'I got it from him.'
'How?!' All of us say in unison.
'From his hand,'
'Can't be possible,' Leo said pessimistically. 'We allWe all saw Kronos take the keys.'
Callie smiled wider. 'It's a fake key, I always have one for emergencies,' she exhaled sharply. 'I took the other key and replaced it with the fake one without him knowing.'

We all stared at her.

'Callie,' Piper was awestruck 'You are brilliant,'

we praised Callie for a long time and our moods suddenly brightened up.

'But guys, we have to wait, at least till midnight.'
'Makes sense,' Annabeth said. 'After we escape, what should we do?'
'Tell the police this location? I guess?'
'Makes sense,'

--

'Midnight, Midnight,' Nico looked around. 'Come quick.'

This was the most Nico had ever shown his anticipation. I sat next to him as Annabeth fell asleep.

'You're scared?' I ask him
'Of course I'm scared,' Nico says. 'Who wouldn't be?'
'Whoa, you okay?' I ask.
'What do you mean?' Nico says.
'You never admit when you're scared.'
'Well, I mean, this is reasonable enough?' Nico says. 'And I'm not that scared. Just- just a little bit.'

I smile as he looks outside, Will is sleeping with his head on Nico's shoulder.

Annabeth wakes up.

'Is it midnight yet?' she asks.
'No,' I say, checking my watch. 'It's eight pm,'

She groans and checks through the crack in the door.

'And they're still awake,' she says.
'Sad life,' I say and crumple.
'God.' Annabeth lays down

Annabeth's POV

I wait for midnight like my entire life depended on it. Probably because it did. I was starving.

'We sure there's nothing to eat?' I ask.
'Yes we are!' the others grumble.
'Patience, Annabeth,' Will says. 'Patience, midnight is nearing.'

Patience was a word I always had trouble with. But I watched as cars passed by. It was cold Percy sat next to me.

'Remember when our school got flooded?' I ask softly.
He chuckles. 'It was so unrealistic,'
'Yeah,' I laugh. 'And the school overreacted so much,'
'I know! We had to spend the night at school because they thought the flood was so huge that we couldn't go home,'

I laughed.

Percy grinned, 'But I mean, it was fun when I carried you while you panicked,'

Typical him.

'Oh shut up!' I roll my eyes with a smile.

We both sighed and looked at each other, laying our heads on the window. I then think about Oxford. He obviously wants me to go there, but I can't imagine having to make new friends, away from mine over here. Oxford was where my knowledge and creativity belonged, but I belonged over here, with my Father, Percy, the others, Mack, Estelle.