Chapter 12

Percy's POV

Wondering where Annabeth had gone to in the middle of "Would you Rather", I ended up losing all my sleepiness. Yay.

I walked to the kitchen and for that I had to cross the living room. Annabeth was still awake.

'I thought you were sleepy?' she asked me.
'Couldn't,' I shrugged, 'I was, but two seconds of sleep is enough, right? According to ADHD and- are you reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee?'
'Yeah, why?'
'It- It was one of the first novel's I read before I got diagnosed with dyselixia.'
'You got diagnosed late then- it's not supposed to be for kids younger than eleven, and if you hadn't been diagnosed before that- you got diagnosed at around eleven or twelve.'
'As a matter of fact, I did get diagnosed late.' I explained, 'Annabeth, where did you really go?'
Annabeth sighed.
'You can't fool me,' I pursed my lips.
'Luke,' she said, 'Luke called me.'
'Why did you meet him?' I asked, hoping he hadn't asked for her again.
'He texted me that he had something to show me... I asked for his help at school.'
'Oh.'

I walked out of the room with a wave and then made my way to the kitchen. To my relief, the box of cookies were still there. I bit one anxiously. Annabeth's out of your league. It's never happening, Percy, I thought, knowing it was the truth. Stop being in your dreams.

I walked back in and Annabeth was completely absorbed in her book. I sat next to her, trying to read it with her. It was hard, but we were at the same pace. Then, not knowing why I did it, I kissed her on her head. from the top angle, her cheeks were red. Mine were too, for I felt the burning. However, I smiled.

Annabeth's POV

I was reading and Percy was reading as well, we were at the same pace. Then unexpectedly, he kissed my head; it send tingles down me. I blushed, I felt the burning. I didn't dare look up. Out of your league, Annabeth, a part of me reminded. I smiled like an idiot, hoping Percy was as absorbed in the book as I was before he kissed my head. The book did not matter anymore. The sun was rising. 

'It's uncomfortable on the side,' he muttered. He moved in closer and put the other arm behind me, reading from over my shoulder. I felt my eyes shut, I used his arm as a pillow and the next moment, the sun had fully risen.

'I got absorbed in the book,' Percy said, 'I read around six pages- you were out for an hour.' he added.
I rubbed my eyes.
'Wait,' I said, I narrowed my eyes, 'Did you bite your lip? it's bleeding.'
'I may have, at one of the sad parts.' he murmured. 

I stuck out my thumb and wiped the blood off. I looked at him smiling. Our eyes met. I didn't want him to lean in, I didn't want to lean in myself. I looked away. You can't do that to him, I told myself, You have to protect him. He seemed dissapointed, he touched the part of my cheek which was still bandaged.
'Are you changing the bandages frequently?' he asked me, in concern
'Yep.' I said, getting up and stretching, 'Now if you don't mind- I'm going to brush my teeth, unless you wanna follow me in the bathroom as well?' I smirked. He shook his head.

I got ready for the day and Percy evidently had as well. I smiled at him.

A woman entered just then. She had white hair and dark skin. I recalled Leo saying he had been living with an elderly woman and her wife ever since he just started high school and ran away from his last foster care.

'Ah! Hemithea? Am I right?' I asked, 'Good morning!'
'Yes,' the woman smiled, 'Good Morning. I hope Leo is treating you and your friends well?'
'Of course! We had a lot of fun yesterday, all of us!'
'Good,' she said, 'Now go and start the day,' she patted my back, 'Josephine shall be here in sometime. You too young man!'
Percy smiled in response and nodded. 
'Now go ahead! Take a walk outside, both of you! The other's won't be up until nine, I guess.' she said, checking her watch. She held the door for me and Percy and we walked outside

Percy's POV

Hemithea was kind. Me and Annabeth were walking and joking a bit. But it was so cold again, and not because it rained at night. Annabeth was cold. I put my arm around her shoulders, friendlily, but she bent down to tie her laces and then walked slightly away from me. Something was wrong, and she wasn't telling it to me. I knew that whatever happened with Luke wasn't "Nothing. It was definitely a something. Her grey eyes flashed here and there, taking in the surroundings. 

I doubted my friends were up yet. Some of them had ADHD, like Leo. Callie may be up, though I doubted the other's would except for Leo and Will. Nico was not a morning person, so I doubted he'd be up until ten, actually.

Annabeth stopped at a stationary store. She scratched her chin and furrowed her eyebrows cutely, as if thinking and battling in her mind what to do.

'Hmm... I could do with some pens, my last pen ran out yesterday in the middle of biology.' she murmured to no one in particular, 'Be right back Percy.'
'Okay...?'

She came back with a pack of pens. Then she told me we should go back, and that it was-

'Ten 'o' clock?!' 
'Yup!'
'Time flew, Wise Girl- come on then!' I said, 'They'd already have started eating breakfast!'
She grunted, 'Considering them, I suppose they'd have finished it by now.'
I groaned.
'Come on Seaweed Brain!' she tugged at my arm, sending tingles to me, 'Let's go!'
'Fine, Wise Girl- though if there's no breakfast...'
'Will you shut up for once?'

Reaching back home, the other's had left us a few pancakes that Hemithea had made.

'Call me Emmie,' she told me, 'And you can call Josephine Jo.' 
'Coming?' Annabeth said, 'We're going for ice-cream.'
She must have seen the excitement on my face because she sqeezed my arm slightly.
'We're coming guys!'

Hope this was a nice chapter. For some people who got mad that I keep interrupting or not revealing what Annabeth needs to protect Percy from, sorry guys! I have to keep you in suspense! On the other hand... any Percabeth vibes increasing?

See you in the next chapter