Chapter 41

Percy's POV

She loved me. She loved me. She said that before the crash. I didn't know what to think. All I knew was that I would catch Luke, and I and Annabeth would finally be in peace.

'What could go wrong?' Juniper asked nervously.
'Everything?' Annabeth said.
'Really motivating, Annabeth.' I said with a shaky breath and tapped the wheel.

Annabeth just stared outside. She didn't say anything.

This wasn't a typical love story that one would imagine, about I and Annabeth. Instead, we had an entire "bring-the-criminal-to-justice" situation on our hands.

'How much longer?' Annabeth asked.
'An hour, I suppose?' I say.

Annabeth seemed shaken.

'Does Michigan bring bad memories to you?' I ask her.
'Kinda... well, forget it.'
'You wanna stay back?'
'Hell no.' she grinned. 'I'm coming, end of the story.'

Annabeth's POV

I threw up. I actually did. I threw up. I threw up. Gosh, what would they think of me?

'Are you sure you're okay?' Percy asked me as I came back with fresh clothes (we were near a mall.)
'I'm fine, I've just had an accident - this was bound to happen–'
'You're not okay—'
'I'm fine, now c'mon.'

Juniper looked at me and frowned. 

'Sit at the back,' she told me.

I frown.

'Why though?'

Juniper seemed to be trying hard not to roll her eyes.

'Just sit at the back.' she said firmly.

I shrugged and sat at the back with her. As Percy started the car, she immediately pulled out her phone and opened our texts.

She types a text, but doesn't send it: What's up? REALLY?

I shrug: Nothing.

She rolls her eyes, for real this time: This is about as "nothing" like the time when Hazel died her hair  blue and when we asked her what she did to her hair she said "Nothing"

I try not to laugh: that time was funny. But trust me, it's nothing... I'm just acting out.

She frowns at me, she seems worried: If you say so.

But the truth was. Something was up. Something I really hoped wouldn't come true.

Percy's POV

'We're here...' I murmured.

The girls got out of the car.

'Where do we find Luke? Exactly?' Juniper asks.
Annabeth looks down. 'I think I know a place we can start.'

---

she took us to a building at the back.

'What happens when we find him?' I ask.
'I'm... not really sure.' Annabeth says. 'We call the police, I guess,'

I think about it and Annabeth starts looking for a place to enter the building.

'Why do you think he'll be here?' Juniper asks.

Annabeth inhales deeply.

'Luke was never like this,' she says. 'He was under the influence of somebody: Kronos, apparently. Kronos is... racist, overly religious, and thinks that taking power over everyone is a nice thing to do.'
'And?' Juniper urges her.
'Kronos thinks he can start with all Luke's friends. And under the influence of Kronos, Luke has started seeing things and doing things the wrong way. Kronos is bad. He can kill us in a few seconds.'
'I'm really tired of nearly getting killed,' I sighed.