Chapter 21

Annabeth's POV

I walked down the lane to meet with Percy. He was much better now. Estelle was also better. I couldn't say the same for Sally. Frank and Hazel were talking animatedly to each other. I joined in on the conversation.

'Hey, guys, what you talking about?' I asked.
'About what we're gonna be when we grow up.' said Frank.
'I'm gonna be an architect.' I said. I had my mind set on that for months already.
'I'm gonna be a historian.' Hazel said.
'Me? I don't really know - maybe an archer.'
'Percy wants to be a champion surfer.' I said.
'Funny, you know what he wants to be - he's never told us...'
I pursed my lips and Frank laughed. 
'Ima be a pilot.' Jason said, joining in. 'And Piper wants to be an influencer.'
'She should be a media influencer. She's got about a million followers.'
'Yep.' Jason said. 'Well, she doesn't like to boast. But it's hard to go on the main street without a person saying "Piper Mclean? Is that you?".'

We all laughed. Percy came just then.

'Hey guys!' he gave me a side hug which earned stares. Then he hugged all of us. 'I need hugs. Mom's in the kitchen making bad cookies. I wish her mood did not affect her cooking but...'
'Don't be mean.' Callie chided.
'And Rachel just won't leave me alone!' he said angrily. 'Jeez I wanna murder that woman - not literally - no I'd never do that.' he added. 'I was joking - but honestly! Can't she understand I don't want to be with her anymore?'
'I guess not.' I said dryly. 'Anyways, I'll go ahead.' 
'Where?' mine and Percy's fingers touched, I stepped away. 
'Wait...' I said. 
'Percy!' a girl with black her and electric blue eyes bounded up to him. 'Where's Jason? There he is!' she hugged Jason and Jason hugged her back.
'Hi sis,' he said. Piper's face, which had tightened, relaxed. 'I take it you know Percy?'
'Yep.' Thalia said. 'We're friends.'
'So how are you, siblings?' I asked.
'Oh, our mom and dad... divorced - and they split us up. Well anyways, Dad wanted to shift away from the town and we had an earthquake there as well. I've been wanting to find Percy for ages because he said he was friends with a guy named Jason Grace.'

Thalia looked around.

'Percy,' she whispered. 'Luke's following you.'
'I know - it's Luke - being - Luke.' Percy said.
'Yep. Well, see ya around Perce - I'm going to Goode High, by the way - am I allowed to hang out with you and...'
Percy nodded.

I sighed. They were just friends, right?

Percy's POV

'So who's the blonde beauty?'
'What?'
'Annabeth?' Thalia smiled. 'You like her,'
'Do not!' I sighed. 'Fine. Yes.'
Thalia laughed with glee. 'Yay!'
'What are you so happy about?'
'When Jason told me he found his girl I was really excited and then they started dating. Now I can relive the fun of my friend or brother having a crush! When are you making a move?'
'Never, she doesn't like me.'
'Right,' she said. 'That's the only reason she gave me a death glare when I hugged you.'

My mouth tasted coppery and my face felt warm.

'Maybe soon.'
She nudged me.
'You better tell me. When you do!' she smiled.
'Ha-ha, very funny.'
'Oohh! she's coming! I'll let you two be alone - and just flirt, will you? Make her fall for you.'
'Thanks for the advice.' I muttered sarcastically.

Annabeth was walking to where I was.

'Who is she?' Annabeth asked skeptically.
'Childhood friend.' I said. 'Why? Scared I'll start dating her?'
Annabeth blushed. 'Just curious.'
'Do you wanna go to school or not?' 
'Yep. Let's go!' Annabeth pulled me. I ignored the tingling.
While we walked she remembered something.
'Hey - where are we going next? For the project?'
'Today? Let's try each other's houses?'
'Hmm...' Annabeth thought aloud. 'Alright then.' 
I smiled.
'What elements would your house have?'
'Evilness and darkness. All because of Jennifer - but we're going to Piper's. That's where I'm staying, remember?'
'Yeah!' I scratched my neck. 'Forgot about that.'
'We'll go straight after school?' she asked.
'Yep!'

We walked into the school. Rachel still wouldn't leave me alone.

'That girl is the most insensitive, selfish wart I've ever had the misfortune to meet.' Annabeth grumbled.
'That is actually very accurate.' Nico said.
'Why won't she just leave us alone? Do you know she made friends with Nancy Bobofit?' Will exclaimed. 'The school's biggest bully! And it looks like Nancy hates Percy.'
'Oh,' My mouth went dry. 'Nancy and I go a long way - from the time we were in sixth grade. It's funny how all my enemies are ending up in Goode High.' 
'Well, some rich parents send their snobby kids to Goode to ruin our lives.' Jason said. 'Anyways, not that I'm rich or anything - but Goode has a special program - and that's expensive. Nancy and Rachel and Luke are some of the three who have it.'
'And me.' Piper added. 'Dad wanted me to have the best education.' Piper scoffed.
'That's fine - you're still the best.' Jason kissed her head. 
'But honestly!' I hissed. 'I'll be in big trouble if that's Nancy and Rachel being friends!'
'Yeah.' Annabeth sighed. 'And Luke - he and Nancy are dating now, you know? But I know it's a matter of time before Nancy finds out Luke's using her.'

I walked with Leo because lunch wasn't over yet.
'Leo.' I said. 'I'm thinking that I'll tell Annabeth I like her - without really saying it.'
'How...?' Leo asked while tinkering with a few objects.
'Love letters.' I said. 'I know, cheesy - but I'm a coward.'
'You know that's how I told Callie I like her right?'
'Wait, what?'
'Yep.' he said and took his eyes of the robot he was making. 'I did - and then I eventually confessed.'
'Okay,' I said. 'Can you, write it?'
'It has to be your work, Percy - and write only one. I wrote only one.'
'But I'm dyslexic!' I protested.
'Mmph.' he huffed. 'Type it.'
'How does that help?'
'I'll type it - she'll recognize the handwriting.'

Annabeth's POV

I walked to my locker. Percy and Leo were laughing over something at the far end. They had used the printer and spilled ink over themselves.

'You, Percy Jackson, are the only person in the world who can spill ink over themselves from the printer.' I complained as I wiped his newly splashed black face.
'Whattttt?' he groaned.
'You made a ginormous mess of yourself.' I sighed. 'That's what.'
'You sound like my Mom.' Percy groaned as I wiped furiously at his arm. 'And why aren't you cleaning Leo up?'
'Because Callie is there for that.'
'But I'm not your boyfriend!' he pulled away. 'Why are you helping me clean up?'
'Because I think that is out of your capability, Percy.' I sighed and he went red.

I walked back to my locker after Percy ran off with Leo. Callie's locker was next to mine. I found a green paper and it had the name Annabeth on it. I wondered if I had written a note to myself. I opened the paper and gasped. It was a letter!

'What's up?' Callie peeked.
'I - I think I just got a love letter.' I stammered.
'Oh - My - GOD! It has to be Percy! Show me the handwriting!' she squealed and hopped up and down.
'Jeez, Cal - tone it down!' I laughed. 'It's printed.' I sighed. 'And it can't be Percy. It won't be Percy.'
'He's in love with you! And you like him as well!' Callie urged.
'Read it - would Percy have such good grammar, spelling, and capitalization?'

Annabeth.
If you're glad.
I'm glad.
When I'm sad. I think of you. And happiness washes over me. When you say your hair is a mess, I resist the urge to say that you're still beautiful. And your hair makes you more beautiful. You're dangerous, you're wild. Maybe one day you will be mine. I hope that day comes soon. I hope you will take it nicely when I tell who I am. Perhaps, we can have a future together. Perhaps, I'll stroke that nest of hair one day. 
Your stormy grey eyes take me up in the clouds when you look in mine. I sink down in the sea. When you touch me, the area tingles - like cold water sprinkled.

'OH-MY-GOD!' Callie squealed. 'How are you not seeing it? Percy has been dropping hints!'
'It's - not - Percy.'
'It is too!' Callie protested. 'He said happiness washes over him. When you look in his eyes he sinks in the sea. When you touch him, the area tingles. Like cold water is sprinkled.' 

It's still not enough proof for me. 

'Whatever. It's not him - believe me.'

I wasn't being fair to Callie - she isn't very visible in this book - so I thought I'd add her in. Vote, share and comment! means a lot. Thank you for reading and 300 reads?!?!? 300 + reads??! WOWWWW. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCHHH! And if you like my work please follow, it would really help me.

See you in the next chapter.