Chapter 40

Percy's POV

'Stelle,' I called over to Estelle while she buried her nose in Heroes Of Olympus: The Lost Hero. (Copyright: Rick Riordan)
'What? You interrupted this scene!' Estelle looked up at me and frowned.
'I heard the doorbell ring.'
'Oh, sorry, I'll get it.'

I had tried Piper's phone multiple times after our conversation, and by now, she had changed her voicemail to: If you are Percy, I've given you enough answers, now STOP PESTERING ME!

That girl was scary, sometimes.

Estelle came back with James and they both took their own seats. James was watching Estelle write her fanfiction. It was tagged "Percabeth". I would have killed her if she wasn't my sister.

The bell rang again.

'Ugh!' Estelle groaned.

She walked out to get the door.

'How are you doing?' James asked.
'Fine,' I say. 'You?'
'Fine, school, extra-curricular activities... you know, the usual.'

I nodded. The usual.

Estelle came back in and told me that someone was waiting for me. I told her to let the person in. 

'Juniper?' I say.

I wondered if I'd lost some memory, because I clearly didn't remember Juniper's face like this. She looked tired, if she ever could, and she didn't have a floral dress, she was wearing a black blouse with grey shorts. Which was odd, very odd. She was always that "cute-blooming-anime" type of girl.

Juniper frowned. 'I hate these clothes.' 

--

'So you're telling me, that Luke is not only missing, but he's hiding four hours away?' I ask. 'And that Annabeth remembers me?'

I'm clutching the note that Annabeth had written, I was afraid I'd lose it. I was afraid I'd lose it like I lost her the first time.

'Yep,'
'Get the car!' I say.
'Hold up!' Juniper laughs. The kind of laugh that is more like an exclamation, cut short by a syllable. 'You're not doing go—'
'I don't care! COME ON!' I say and grab my keys.
'I'm coming!' Estelle said.

James told us to count him in. And I was too excited to think about the dangers I could be bringing them into.

Annabeth's POV

Dismissed from that tiny, tight ward, finally.

'I'm coming home,' I tell my dad. 'I think it's the best to do. Now that you've divorced Jennifer.'
'It is,' Dad says. 
'Come home fast,' he says.

But I still find myself unable to pack when I'm at Piper's. She was like my family.

'You know you couldn't live with me forever, right?' Piper had said.
I wiped the tears away. 'I didn't want to accept the fact.'
'Annabeth, you're being foolish.'
'I know, it's just that, this was the best home I've ever stayed in.'
'You've got your brother, not even your step-brother.'

--

I walk home and sit down on my bed. Dad walks in.

'I fixed the bed.' he said pointing at the legs of the bed. One leg had always been shorter.
'Thanks,' I put my head against the pillows and sighed.

Malcolm came to visit me, and after some time, I heard a knock on the door.

'Come in.' I say.

There is a boy in front of me, with jet-black hair, and sea-green eyes. And I felt something go on inside me. I knew who this person was. The smell of the sea filled the room, familiarising me with who this person was.

'Percy?' I whisper.
'Yes,' he looks at me. 'You remember me?'
'Of course!' I break down in sobs.

Percy just stares at me.

'What?'
'You remember me,' he said. 'That's amazing.'
'How could I forget you?' I smile.
'Guys, guys,' a familiar voice says. 'Enough, we need to bring Luke to Justice.' it was Juniper.

Percy and I nodded. She was right.

'Annabeth?' Estelle entered.
'Percy, why is Estelle coming? It's a 4 hour drive.' I ask.
'I- uh... Didn't think...'
'Idiot,' I muttered.
'Hey, why can't we come?' Estelle groaned.
'It's not safe. He's a psychopath.' I mutter. 'Luke, I mean.'

---

We drop Estelle and James at home.

'Where to?' I ask.
'Four hours, you ready?'
'I'm always ready to beat someones...'

We laughed. Juniper bit her lip. Percy muttered something.

'What?'
'Nothing, forget it.' he smiled.