Chapter 14

Percy's POV

I barged out of the room, screaming for help. The beeping grew rapider, the straight line on the heart monitor remained the same. Annabeth ran after me, trying to call for a doctor. We succeeded. We ran back in the room. The beeping was still going rapidly, Tyson had turned a ghostly white. The team of doctors stood around and ordered Estelle, me and Annabeth to leave the room. Estelle was crying. She stood rooted to the spot. She still had a tear streaked face. The doctors asked again, I tried pulling her. She refused to leave Tyson's side.

'Estelle, come on.' Annabeth said. 
She didn't budge. I lifted her up in my arms.
'No! Tyson!' she cried, 'No! Let me go! I don't want to leave Ty-'
She broke down into sobs. Tears were falling from my own eyes. The heart monitor still displayed a straight line. 

We waited for an five hours, I was counting them every time I checked my phone. We heard nothing that indicated anything good. I texted my mother, she hadn't seen the message yet.

Tyson's in trouble, come quick- P

I sighed in slight relief, but I had a bad feeling, a bad feeling in my gut that said that... 

'Percy...' Annabeth said, 'They can still save him...'
'Yeah! They will.' I felt like I was reassuring myself more than replying to Annabeth.
'He will be alright- Percy...' she held me as I clutched my hair.
'Annabeth- what if... what if he doesn't make it?'
'He has too...'
I shook slightly and she ran her fingers through my hair, calming me down. I looked at Annabeth, she was beautiful and she was the best girl on this planet. I had to tell her that.
'Annabeth... I-'

The doctor walked out of the room, a grim expression on his face. I stood up immediately.

'Well?' I said rather sharply.
'Percy, be kind.' Annabeth said blushing slightly 'Doctor, is- Tyson... OK?'
'We couldn't save him,' the doctor said grimly, 'He went into cardiac arrest- it was too late.'

Annabeth's POV

I caught Percy before he fell to his knees in shock. Estelle was asleep, she heard nothing. Percy broke down in sobs.

'I'll leave the both of you to talk.' The doctor said, he then added quietly, to help Percy cope, 'Remember, they are never gone as long as their name is said.'
'Thank you,' I whispered, 'You did your best.'

I was still holding Percy.

'Percy...' I held him tight, like he was a fragile piece of glass. He shook violently, 'Do you want to...?'
He nodded in response.
'Come on then.'

We walked back in the room. Tyson's body lay there, the machines had been powered off, so the beeping ceased to fill our ears. Tyson's face was milk white, his chest was no longer rising and falling. The oxygen mask was removed, for there was no need for it. Percy took the nearest chair and sat there, sobbing. After five minutes he got up. He looked at me and spread his arms, Percy needed a hug. 

Tears fell from my own eyes and I walked to him. He hugged me tightly and I hugged him back, he sobbed uncontrollably and I stroked my hand up and down his back. I don't know how long we were like that, one of us sobbing uncontrollably, the other silently letting tears spill from her eyes. 

Estelle had awoken then, she entered the room. She saw us crying and knew immediately what had happened. Percy saw her then; leaving me, he walked fast to her and hugged her tight, crying hard. Estelle cried as well. Like a small child she invited me to hug her.

'Oh...' I jogged across the room where they both were swaying and crying. It was the saddest group hug I ever had been a part in.

Estelle's POV