Chapter 35

Annabeth's POV

I couldn't face Percy, I couldn't face anyone. I was in the guest room all day and Piper barely spoke to me. She really didn't like the way I was acting, so she gave me the silent treatment.

Fed up, I walked out of my room.

'I almost forgot you existed.' Piper said. 'Dinner's on the table.'

I didn't meet her eyes, but she forced me to by stopping me.

'I don't know why, I don't know what... but what you are doing right now is not right.' she said scornfully, with a stern face that would have terrified a child.

I tried to wiggle free.

'You won't understand.' I said. 'Let me go! You-'

I thrust myself out of her grasp.

I was trying to protect them all. They were all my lights, and Luke's idea was to take all the lights out. I had to protect all the lights.

Her chin trembled and she stormed out.

At school, Nico and Will tried to approach me, the only thing I did was hurt them, unknowingly at that.

The approached me, 'Hi Annabeth!'
I said, 'Go away,'
They frowned. 'We heard what happened...do you want to-'
'I said go away you bunch of fools!' I cried.

Their face went as hard as stone. They didn't say "Okay," they didn't nod. They simply walked away. They didn't even look at me after that.

Rumours had spread, and all the girls who had a crush on Percy were furious.

Rachel was the one who was the really mad one. I could understand. She was Percy's ex, and then for his sake, she let us date, and this was what she got back in return.

One day, I was eating. Alone. However inviting my friends chattering looked, Luke was always looking at the table to see if I was there.

Piper had informed me that she had convinced Percy to get over it, and they were doing fine. I didn't even ask for it, but I was glad to know that I was so useless that it didn't even take a week for Percy to get over it. That meant I couldn't hurt them any further, I guess.

I think they even forgot about me. Forgot about the good me.

I started packing my bags to leave Piper's.

'I'm leaving,' I said shortly as I opened the door.

Well, not opened the door.

'It's locked,' Piper said. 'I don't know what's wrong with you, but I don't think I can keep an eye away from you, I found the parcel... sleeping pills... other...stuff.'

I gulped.

'Why do you care? If I...'
'You're going mad, Annie,'
'We're all gonna die anyway,'
'This is why, I'm keeping you here until you come back to your senses.'

I stormed up. Why did Piper have to care about me so much?

Percy's POV

'Outside I'm smiling, inside I'm dying,' I read the book of poems out loud, a bit boring without Annabeth. 'Sounds like me,'

I slammed the book shut and and started to study. Furiously, as you can guess.

Frank, Nico, and Jason entered. The boys were coming over all the time nowadays.

'What are you doing?' Frank asked.
'Studying,'
'Need help?' Nico asked me.
'Not really.'
'We got our books, should we study together?' Jason fixed his glasses.
'Make yourself comfortable.' I smiled. 

I ignored my headache which occurred because of my lack of sleep.

Piper texted me.

Annabeth's completely...suicidal at this point. - Pip
What did I even do to her?- Per

Not sure, but something bad, obvi- Pip
I can't recall anything- Per
I think... - Pip
I think she's gonna explain soon. How long can she go like this?
She's stubborn - Per
You've a point, but let's just wait for a while, I'm watching her. - Pip
K, bye - Per
Bye! - Pip

I sighed.

'What's up?'
'Annabeth...'
The others exchanged looks.
'What now?'
'She's trying to end everything for her,'
'No way,' Jason said.
'She's not that mad,' Frank frowed
'She's not mad,' Nico corrected. 'It happens when you suffer.'
'Why would she suffer for this? it's something that happens.'
'Why would I suffer for Bianca dying? It's something that happens.'
'What are you trying to say?' Jason cocked his head.
'I'm saying...' Nico gave me an uneasy look. 'That Annabeth may have more than just liked Percy.'
'I thought we agreed on that,' Jason chuckled a bit.
'I mn that she loved him but was forced to leave him...'
'Oh...'

Luke. It was Luke. It was that... dog Luke

Outside I'm smiling, inside I'm dying.